G’day from Qld Australia

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Starky

Bearcat
Hi all just, joined and look forward to being part of the discussions. I work in the Civil and Mining sector in HSE. Love getting to the range and the odd hunt when possible.

Cheers

Starky

RC44Mag

Buckeye
Hey Starky, hello and welcome from New York. I'm looking forward to hearing first hand about shooting sports down under. Cheers

KIR

Sparks, NV
G'day mate, from Sparks, Nevada. So, if you are from old Australia, where is NEW Australia?

vlavalle

Single-Sixer
Hi all just, joined and look forward to being part of the discussions. I work in the Civil and Mining sector in HSE. Love getting to the range and the odd hunt when possible.

Cheers

Starky
Welcome from Arizona! Starky, do you live in Australia? If so, are you allowed to own guns?

Starky

Bearcat
Welcome from Arizona! Starky, do you live in Australia? If so, are you allowed to own guns?
Yep sure do I live in Queensland (Qld) Yes we can have guns here. Bit of a long process to get your licence which is painful and a process that won't change it seems. I get to the range quite often I have 3 near me and there is plenty of Deer hunting out west of home and all up Qld.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
Hey Starky, here is a Ruger that you might enjoy seeing. Made for the Western Australia Police, it was for one of their special forces units that was permitted to carry .357 Mag while the regular cops were restricted to .38 Special. So as not to cause jealousy at the range, they were ordered without caliber markings and with "W.A. POLICE" in that location instead. I chatted about it with a retired WA PD officer after I got it and he informed me that this one (a Ruger warehouse cleanout gun shipped in 2009) may be the only one left on the planet. He said that after some nut case went crazy shooting up some building in Tasmania, the country passed a law that prohibited selling or exporting surplus guns and that they instead had to be destroyed - which was the fate of all the rest of these that were actually sent down there when the department switched to autos. This was likely a contract overrun held back in the event of a warranty issue but finally purged from the factory hoard.

GS-32-WA-POLICE-Right.jpg

GS-32-WA-POLICE-Left.jpg

Starky

Bearcat
Hey Starky, here is a Ruger that you might enjoy seeing. Made for the Western Australia Police, it was for one of their special forces units that was permitted to carry .357 Mag while the regular cops were restricted to .38 Special. So as not to cause jealousy at the range, they were ordered without caliber markings and with "W.A. POLICE" in that location instead. I chatted about it with a retired WA PD officer after I got it and he informed me that this one (a Ruger warehouse cleanout gun shipped in 2009) may be the only one left on the planet. He said that after some nut case went crazy shooting up some building in Tasmania, the country passed a law that prohibited selling or exporting surplus guns and that they instead had to be destroyed - which was the fate of all the rest of these that were actually sent down there when the department switched to autos. This was likely a contract overrun held back in the event of a warranty issue but finally purged from the factory hoard.

View attachment 22750

View attachment 22751
Wow what a story. Some interesting pieces of info there. WA has very tight weapons laws over there and they have since just recently tightened even further.