Future products from Ruger Question...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

CATTLEDAWG

Bearcat
With Ruger's new Hard-R line, What are the chances Ruger might start manufacturing a tactical shotgun?...Personally, I'd love to see it and would buy one the day it became available...

reakin

Single-Sixer
I wouldn't have thought so before, but with the latest offerings the past couple years, nothing would surprise me now.

reakin

sturmenater

Bearcat
who knows would be nice to see the make a pump gun being a ithaca fan it would have been nice to see them buy the patents to the model 37 and produce that but as of the last time i checked the ithaca gun company is back in business

Otony

Blackhawk
sturmenater":b3c9ldcz said:
who knows would be nice to see the make a pump gun being a ithaca fan it would have been nice to see them buy the patents to the model 37 and produce that but as of the last time i checked the ithaca gun company is back in business

I am willing to bet the patent ran out on the 37 quite awhile ago. Heck, there was a Norinco copy imported for some time, and the Browning BPS apple didn't fall too far from the 37 tree.

Still would be a cool gun for Ruger to replicate! :)

TDF

Single-Sixer
Otony":14l8dwbg said:
I am willing to bet the patent ran out on the 37 quite awhile ago. Heck, there was a Norinco copy imported for some time, and the Browning BPS apple didn't fall too far from the 37 tree.

Might want to check the timeline on that one. The Ithaca 37 is a revised version of the Browning design. Ithaca had to wait for the patent rights to run out before they brought out their Model 37.

TDF

Otony

Blackhawk
TDF":v3pdhx4o said:
Otony":v3pdhx4o said:

Might want to check the timeline on that one. The Ithaca 37 is a revised version of the Browning design. Ithaca had to wait for the patent rights to run out before they brought out their Model 37.

TDF

Ah, what was I thinking. You are right, they used a design Browning sold to Remington, which Big Green built as the Model 17.

In fact, Ithaca was originally going to introduce it as the Model 33 (in 1933) but discovered that some Pederson patents had been used in a slight redesign of the Model 17, and those patents didn't run out until a few years later. So they waited and finally introduced the Model 37.

All of which goes to show you that if the darn design lasted this long with some modicum of popularity, Ruger out to get on the ball and use the expired design, perhaps with some Ruger improvments. Shoot, make us all happy. Can you say tang safety on a bottom ejector so all God's chirrun can use it, left hand and right, black, brown, yellow, and white? :twisted:

BlkHawk73

Hunter
west augusta":26ss2fen said:
How 'bout a break action single barrel shotgun for the young'uns.

H&R pretty much has that corner of the market covered and Rossi adds there few models to it as well. Not really anything that could be done to them as far as improvements. Can't go wrong with one of the H&R's either.

chet15

Hawkeye
HAWKEYE#28":2qm0nb46 said:
Too many 870's out there to make it worthwhile, I suspect............ 8)

Yes, its true. Ruger had a Model 12 style pump shotgun on their trade show display before the doors were opened at the 1995 SHOT show. They also reportedly had at least two semi auto shotgun prototypes made up. Heard they worked on the pump gun until at least 2003, but as Hawkeye28 said...there is a lot of competition in this market, but bottom pricing on a lot of popular models. Not sure Ruger could come out ahead if they marketed their versions.
Chet15

mattsbox99

Hunter
HAWKEYE#28":25jtjzxj said:
Too many 870's out there to make it worthwhile, I suspect............ 8)

This prospect has never stopped Ruger in the past, and they hired a new Shotgun engineer at the beginning of this year. I expect something at next year's SHOT show.

96/44

Blackhawk
I would think a semi auto shotgun could be a profitable platform for them. With the popularity of tactical guns for 3 gun and home protection, and field and sporting clays models I'm suprised they haven't built one yet. The foreign manufacturers have really cornered the market, and it would really be nice to see a new american design, especially one with Ruger reliability.