FS in CA: US/Western/military history and outdoors books

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Used books for sale. ALL PRICES INCLUDE SHIPPING TO CONUS ZIP CODES. Take $1 of the price of each or any book you order after the first one (I get a little break on postage for multiple book orders).

How to order: just put an "I'll take book(s) #_____" as a "reply" on this thread. Then I'll mark your books sold (SPF) on the ad, acknowledge your order on the thread, and PM you my "real" (first) name and address for payment. I take cash, money orders of any kind, and personal checks made out to me. I DON'T do PayPal, credit cards, or online payment plans like applepay. (What do you expect of a guy who remembers when you had to help Momma by kneeding the red dye spot into the cellophane bag of white margarine to make it yellow? And I just know you aren't gonna send me plata o oro!).

I ship the next mail day after I get your payment. If I get it on Friday afternoon, that means it will go out first thing Monday--our local PO is closed on weekends--your tax dollars at rest.

American history titles

1) SPF "Undaunted Courage: Meriwether Lewis, Thomas Jefferson, and the Opening of the American West" by Stephen Ambrose.

2) "Into the Wilderness" by National Geographic Society staff writers. National Geographic's very well-illustrated history of the exploration of the American West beginning with the initial Spanish explorations and ending with the map making (and spying) expeditions of John C. Fremont. Includes an illustrated history of the Lewis and Clark Expedition of Discovery. A clearly told narrative extensively illustrated with maps, drawings and illustrations by the explorers themselves, contemporary journals, and, of course, beautiful National Geographic color photography of the land and peoples the explorers found. HB 207 pp 8 1/2 x11" format new condition $7

3) SPF "Trails West" by National Geographic Society staff.

4) SPF "Thomas Jefferson and the Tripoli Pirates: the Forgotten War That Changed American History" by Brian Kilmeade and Dan Yaeger.

5) SPF "War to the Knife: Bleeding Kansas, 1854-61" by Thomas Goodrich.

6) SPF "Confederate Strategy from Shiloh to Vicksburg" by Archer Jones.

7) "My Life in the Irish Brigade: the Civil War Memoirs of Private William McCarter, 116th Pennsylvania Infantry" ed. Kevin O'Brien. McCarter's PA unit joined the Brigade just after the battle of Antietam, where it had suffered tragic losses. He fought with them until badly wounded at Fredericksburg. His easy, clear, and well-edited account shows the details of picket duty, garrison duty, bloody combat at close range, and the life of a wounded CW veteran. HB 279 pp. new cond illus w/maps, notes, index and bibliography. $7

8) "Pickett's Charge in History and Memory" by Carol Reardon. By a Penn State military historian whose main study has been what society makes of its wars after they have occurred. This book examines both the known reality of the so-called "high tide of the Confederacy" at Gettysburg, and the various uses, political and personal, that veterans and historians and politicians have made of it. Examines in detail both the combat veterans' OWN WORDS describing the "Charge" phase of the battle, and their reactions to the accounts and myths that both sides "spun" from it. HB 295 pp. new cond. illus w/b/w photos, illustration repros, maps, index,bibliography and notes. $7

9) SPF "Crazy Horse and the Real Reason for the Battle of Little Big Horn" by Allan Ross-Ehanamanu.

10) "Nothing Daunted: the Unexpected Education of Two Society Girls in the West" by Dorothy Wickenden. Best-selling history of two upstate NY debutantes who grew bored with society in Auburn NY and went West in 1916 to teach school in Colorado's Elkhead Mountains, entering a whole new kind of "social whirl"! Written by the great grand daughter of one of the women, an editor of "New Yorker" magazine, and based on the "letters home" that she found nearly 100 years after the story happened. Quality PB 315 pp new cond. illus w/b/w photos. $6

11) "Coal Was King: Huerfano County's Mining History" by Nancy Christopherson. Major coal operations began around 1895 and continued thru the Great Depression in this Colorado county. This local history covers the eight coal mining regions in the county, labor movements and violence including the "La Veta Massacre" and the Ludlow strikes. Softbound 115 pp. new cond illus w/historic b/w photos, seven maps, appendix and index. $4

12) SPF "Citizen Soldiers: the US Army from Normandy to Berlin" by Stephen Ambrose.

13) "The Carrier War" by Clark D. Reynolds. Covers the history of carriers and carrier combat in WWII. HB 176 pp. 8 1/2x11" format exc/new cond. illus w/MANY b/w combat photos and color plates of US and Japanese carrier planes and carriers (good for modellers), classic WWII combat paintings.$6

14) "The Day the Chinese Attacked: Korea, 1950" by Edwin P. Hoyt. Prize-winning military historian and embedded Korean War journalist details the events in Chinese and American politics that led to the Chinese "intervention" on behalf of the North Korean Communists, the military reverses that befell the previously victorious US and UN forces, and the immense, bloody cost to China. Quality PB 250 pp. exc. cond. illus w/b/w combat photos and maps $5

Outdoor adventures

15) SPF "A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail" by Bill Bryson.

16) "The Lost City of 'Z': A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon" by David Graham. A well-researched history of the unknown fate of Percy Fawcett, a famous British soldier and explorer who became obsessed with the legendary city of "El Dorado" in the Amazon rain forest. He and his son and their expedition were never seen again although many other expeditions searched for them (even TR's was on the lookout for Col. Fawcett). PB 411 pp. exc. cond illus w/b/w photos and maps. $6

Hunting and Fishing

17) "Elk Hunting 101: A Pocketbook Guide to Elk Hunting" by Jay Houston. Hunting magazine editor, elk guide and passionate hunter's "how-to". If it sounds like a college textbook, it sort of is one--a "course" by a serious "professor" of the art. Would you pass the final exam--with a rack for a grade? We tend to focus on guns. But that's the easy part: Houston focuses on the hard parts, conditioning and elk knowledge. Wants to make you really prepared for a taxing, joyous hunt. Quality PB 144 pp new cond.illus w/b/w photos, checklists. $5

18) "Amazing Whitetails" by Mike Biggs. North American Hunting Club's volume on hunting braggin' size whitetails. Full of beautiful color photos of deer on their home ground, from spots to RACKS. Mainly focused on whitetail behavior in deer season. "Antler Alley" illustrates the various forms of antlers and how they are scored. HB 192 pp. new cond. 8 1/2x11" format, illus. w/many b/w and color photos, antler scoring explanations, and score charts. $5

19) SPF "They Shoot Canoes, Don't They?" by Patrick McManus

20) SPF "Salt Water Fly Fishing: The Challenge and Adventure of Offshore and Flats Fishing with a Fly" by Jack Samson.

21) The six latest issues of "Gray's Sporting Journal" with the best color photography and writing about fishing and hunting presently published! Outstanding authors write about hunting and fishing all over the world from the farm pond to the arctic rivers of Siberia. All issues have both hunting and fishing articles but some are more specialize to cover one or the other as the season dictates. MANY painted original illustrations like all sporting magazines USED to have.

May June 2019 (focus on turkey hunting)
July 2019
Aug-Sept 2019 (focus on upland birds_
Oct. 2019 (big game)
Nov-Dec 2019
Jan 2020 (expeditions and guides)

These six deluxe mags in new cond shipped in a flat rate envelope to CONUS zip codes for $18.

Modern military history

22) SPF "Special Forces: A Guided Tour of the US Army Special Forces" by Tom Clancy with John Gresham.

23) SPF "Intelligence: the Human Factor" by Col. W. Patrick Lang, USA Ret.

24) "The Rocket and the Reich: Peenemunde and the Coming of the Ballistic Missile Era" by Michael J. Neufeld. Neufeld, the curator of the WWII history sections of the National Air and Space Museum, relates missile development from early German and US experiments after WWI to the early Cold War use of Nazi technology and Nazi scientists to begin the Space Race and the ballistic missile standoff with the USSR. A full history of the wartime development and use of the V-2 "Second Vengeance Weapon" by the Nazis, and the political infighting that controlled its development and deployment and the expendable slave labor at "Camp Dora" that manufactured and assembled it. Postwar use and development of the V-2 was the kickstart to ICBMs and moonshots! PB (Harvard U. Press) exc. cond. illus w/b/w phtos, charts,diagrams, lists and maps. $7

25) SPF "Combat and Survival: What It Takes To Win" 18 articles reprinted from the British magazine "Combat and Survival"

Thanks for reading my LOOOONG post! DON'T FORGET to take $1 off the cost of any book or books you order after the first one (includes the "Gray's Sporting Journals," which have to be mailed separately).

Mike Armstrong

Books #s 1, 12, 22, and 25 SPF to 45 fan
3, 5, 9, 15, and 23 SPF to 9mTed
19 and 20 to Uncle Howie

Thanks for buying, guys! Answers to you PMs later this afternoon.

Mike Armstrong

29aholic

Single-Sixer
Well I got in late, but it saved me some money.
I will take #6, #9, and #15
PM me a total and an address and I'll send funds.

PS. I havent read all of the last ones I got from you.