FS Elsewhere : Ruger serial #7266 1950 Saltbox gun

Help Support Ruger Forum:

oldsalt44

Bearcat
I am not familiar at all with this particular firearm, but in case it is something collectible for someone here, I'll post the info.
It is being sold in Salt Lake City by Brad, Home Phone:
801-691-6652.
I got a picture he posted:
RugerSaltboxGun.jpg

The website address is :http://www.ksl.com/?nid=218&ad=2809183&cat=185&lpid=5
His asking price is $999.
oldsalt44

flatgate

Hawkeye
3934038.JPG

I had to look into Chet's amazing book for the answer. Highest known "salt cod" box gun is s/n 5009, shipped 5/50. (Sheesh, I wasn't even out of the oven, yet! :D)

Another example of the seller not knowing what he has....

JMHO,

flatgate

I recall many of the 2 digit guns were NOT even shipped out in 'salt cod' boxes cause they went out much later.....??
we've seen them in the 3 digit and 4 digit range, and are still "looking"... :roll:

radicalrod

Hunter
Hey Flatgate I have 5604.......it is in the cod box numbered to the gun.....several 2 digit guns I have seen are listed as picked up at the factory.....never were boxed......if my cod box has been FAKED they did an awesome job......even replicated the Railway sticker.....see ya RR.

flatgate

Hawkeye
radicalrod":1st1xqrt said:
Hey Flatgate I have 5604.......it is in the cod box numbered to the gun.....several 2 digit guns I have seen are listed as picked up at the factory.....never were boxed......if my cod box has been FAKED they did an awesome job......even replicated the Railway sticker.....see ya RR.

RR, don't tell me since I can't even spell Standard Auto...

Tell the Author of the Book.

Not one semi auto handgun in my home.

flatgate

chet15

Hawkeye
Hey everybody, just remember that once Ruger had their distributor system set up, I don't think they sent any guns out to individual buyers. The company was pretty adament about that and there is quite a bit of customer correspondence from Ruger that talks of the distributor system. But....a 4-3/4" auto being returned to the factory for one reason or another could have been sent back to that individual in a salt cod box, via railway express or even parcel post (Kind of an after the fact thing, but still good if you ask me!!!). I now know of two autos that are like this, numbers 2311 (which was very possibly shipped in a salt cod box the first time), which was re-shipped to customer 6/20/1951 and number 6715.
Radical: you would want to contact the factory to see if your gun was shipped Railway Express, or Parcel Post, or if it left to a distributor with several other 4-3/4" standard autos. The factory can tell you this information. That will tell you if the box left with your gun originally.
But either way, it is a salt cod box!!
Let me know how your gun turns out and I'll update the reference.
Chet15

"Not one semi auto handgun in my home."

You, Sir, are considerably deprived. Didn't realize you were so hard up. This is terrible!

Perhaps we should all take up a collection and buy the poor ol' ski bum a "pistol".

:D :D :D

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
Ale-8(1)":h19z1qtv said:

You, Sir, are considerably deprived. Didn't realize you were so hard up. This is terrible!

Perhaps we should all take up a collection and buy the poor ol' ski bum a "pistol".

I think a 10'' MkII would do the trick!! Nobody would pick on a revolver guy for having one of those :lol:

flatgate

Hawkeye
Aww, jeez, I just don't like them "shell shuckers".

Will they hit a foot-ball sized rock at 200 yards and bust it in half?

No? Didn't think so....
52401013.jpg

85490282.jpg

Shucks, I even have New Models that are up to the task..
157334697.jpg

Boys, just pokin' fun at 'ya!

flatgate

pete44ru

Hunter

CRDLIBERTY

Bearcat
It is indeed a salt cod box gun i remmember as a kid tossing out oily box and red cover. Plus i verified with ruger using the serial it lands 1949 to maybe 1950. I will need to call ruger i guess. That would make it pre sturms death. Id consider trading for NIB hunter nk3 in stainless plus some cash.

SBH4628

Blackhawk
Ale-8(1)":1p8mvcu8 said:

I have a NRA upper,Grips,and box The Old Ski Bum can have :D

ddd482

Single-Sixer
CRDLIBERTY":25bg6dvw said:
It is indeed a salt cod box gun i remmember as a kid tossing out oily box and red cover. Plus i verified with ruger using the serial it lands 1949 to maybe 1950. I will need to call ruger i guess. That would make it pre sturms death. Id consider trading for NIB hunter nk3 in stainless plus some cash.

post it in the classifieds and see what happens-

radicalrod

Hunter
Hey Steve, the "BOOK" doesn't list my 5604.....also fails to list a few of my other KOOL guns.....what we have failed to mention is that it is "THE BOX" that makes a "SALT COD GUN" valuable.....LOTS of pistols.....very FEW COD BOXES.......without that box just another under appreciated piece of early RUGER history......even Flatgate hasn't taken the time to find a nice one.......but in Carls defence we don't call him OL RED EAGLE do we.....see ya RR.

Latest posts