Front Sight Weld

Help Support Ruger Forum:

9x23w

Bearcat
Looking at this stainless vaquero, in really good shape except for where the front sight attaches to the barrel. Looks like a bad weld or reweld? Other side is similar. Anyone else seen anything like this?

vaquero_front_sight.jpg

woodsy

Blackhawk
I think you might need to take another pic, about 45 degrees "upward". In this pic the actual joint is not visible, just what might be discoloration.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
That's a pretty common looking joint. But you can clean up the spots a bit with 0000 brass wool or Flitz polish if you like. Just don't over do it and take off the bluing. The blade is silver brazed (not welded) into a slot. Unless it's loose I wouldn't worry about it.

hittman

Staff member
Looks blued in the picture to me even though he says its stainless.

9x23w

Bearcat
Yes it's stainless. From a website so I don't have any better pictures. Other side looks the same.

So is the black line the brazing material?

yes a little bit of Flitz on an old 22 cal. brass brush rubbed along the bottom edge of the sight that should come off cannot tell by the picture just what is it but I doubt its "weld", and if it was the weld itself, can be polished up....carefully, neatness counts....

gunzo

Hunter
The black is likely flux residue.

The area that is to be silver soldered must be fluxed & when heat is applied to the flux (some brands) it turns black when it melts. I appears it didn't get cleaned well in the buffing process.

If the sight blade is tight, there shouldn't be be a problem as the actual solder gets sucked down into the mortise for the blade & is very strong. Pick at the black with something like a dental pick, it could chip right off. The a mild rebuff can finish..