front sight question on stainless vs. blued Rugers?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

idaho

Bearcat
Why are the front sights screwed on the stainless guns while the blued ones are soldered on? Is it just a matter of not being able to solder carbon steel onto stainless or something like that? Is there any downside to either method?

flatgate

Hawkeye
Soldered on sights are difficult to change. The "big bore" stainless Blackhawks have silver soldered front sight bases but the blades themselves are pinned.

One can fabricate a blade that suites ones' needs...

Case in point; my 10-1/2" stainless Super needed a taller front sight. It's NOT a "holster gun" so I made a "undercut" blade that works really well for me.
157334697.jpg

The stainless rimfire revolvers have a one piece sight base and blade assembly that's screw attached. This system leads to really easy swaps.
132835046.jpg

The really tall sight was "custom made" buy someone and it found its' way into my parts box. It works really well for my other "long barreled" shooter...

flatgate

flatgate

Hawkeye
maxpress":3bjofav4 said:
what bullet mould did those bullets come out of flatgate?

Most likely from Cast Performance when they were in Riverton, WY

300 grain LBT Gas Checked .44's. They shoot quite well in ALL my .44 mags.

flatgate

KWYJIBO

Blackhawk
How difficult is it for an amateur to remove and then re-solder the sight base onto a stainless barrel?

I am thinking of undertaking a project:

I've been looking at a stainless 45 NM Blackhawk for sale locally. It has a 7.5 inch barrel, which is about 3 inches too long for my taste. I am confident in my ability to cut the barrel down so that it comes right to the front of the ERH (4.63" inches, roughly). I think I can do that myself and have it turn out nicely.

I would also remove the safety billboard on the left side of the barrel, round off the grip, and polish the barrel, cylinder, and grip frame. I know I will probably have to shorten the front sight post or replace it. I'm okay with all of this, and with locating the sight base and getting it straight.

My biggest concern is with soldering the base back on. Can anyone share experiences on this? What special considerations are there? What do I need to know about? I have experience in electronic soldering and sweating copper pipes, but I'm afraid this might be a whole different critter.

The reasons I don't just go out and buy a new gun with the length I want are two: this 7.5 inch model has a really good price, and I want a project.