Front sight ideas for a Super Redhawk .44 Mag cut down to 5"

Help Support Ruger Forum:

TrueAt1stLight

Single-Sixer
Hello All,

I'm reaching out to ask your feedback/suggestions on a front sight option for a Ruger Super Redhawk in .44 Mag I'm having cut down to 5 inches. (Also any wisdom you'd suggest on the 5" length vs. any other length is appreciated). I was originally going to have my gunsmith reuse the front sight but I was having issues with its height while sighting in the revolver at factory original 7.5" (rear sight bottomed out and still shooting too high). I was going to purchase the higher Ruger SRH front sight shown on their website (.610 high) but thought that may even be too short.

I got to thinking that after the barrel is cut, I don't necessarily have to go with the same shaped Ruger front sight base and could use a differernt option like the dovetail style front sights on the other Ruger revolvers, or possibly something else. Any suggestions on what to do here? If anyone here has done something similar and you could share a photo of the front sight you used, that would be greatly appreciated!

-John

TrueAt1stLight

Single-Sixer
Answered my own question: called the expert on all things revolver, Mr. Bowen, and have a DX front sight base on order which will work wonders. He said that the Blackhawk one is actually what is needed to closely match the contour of my barrel.