Front sight for a Security Six????

Help Support Ruger Forum:

puke

Bearcat
One of my Security Sixes DOES NOT have the red spot in the front sight. (The rest do). Now that I'm older I am very appreciative of that red (orange ?).. But it looks like numrich and everybody else is out with no backorder. Is there one I can buy and modify it to fit?? I have diamond grinders and all that kind of thing,..I just don't know what to start with? I mean,..I have heard the short 101s have a sight similar to a security six,..but I don't know if it's got red or not. I do know the GP's I have are a completely different front sight than the security six..so I doubt I'll do anything but ruin a little piece of steel if I try that one,..but at least for the GP100s I can buy the front sight with the red in it off of amazon.

Anbody know where to get one? Or am I relegated to Bright Red Lacquer (Ya..I have some of that too but I don't think it's as bright as the plastic insert on the rugers.

hittman

Staff member
Put a want to buy ad in the classifieds. But.....I'm not certain the two site blades are the same size....was thinking the later one is larger.

Or.....I use neon Testor model car paint on some of mine. First coat in white, then cover that with whatever you decide.....red, orange, green, etc.

If you can't find one as a direct replacement you can either get front sight paint or a DIY colored front sight insert kit. You can get both from Brownells and probably Midway.

Yes, the front sights of the GP's and Sixes are different sizes. There are even different sizes within the Six series guns. That said, if you get one that is oversized it's easy to make it fit by removing the old one (or taking one from another Six that is the same as the gun missing the sight) and lay it on the new sight and trace the outline and then remove the excess material. I do caution that when you drill the hole for the roll pin, drill from both sides to insure the hole matches with the holes in the barrel.

puke

Bearcat
JStacy said:
I think I have one and if I do you can have it. It was off a 6" barreled gun. I'll look tomorrow.
That would be so cool! 20 years ago I would have never thought I would appreciate something brighter than black.

JStacy

Blackhawk
Sorry it took so long but I have a lot of little boxes of "stuff". I do not have a red insert front sight for a Ruger security six. red Hawk/GP100 tess and Ruger MK II/III red bar yes but no SS front sight.

The sights I preferred over all of them were made by Millett. They had a really nice Red ramp. Millet quit making them, but I'd keep an eye on ebay. You may still find one. If Millett started making them again I'd buy 10 of them. Really nice.

Puke,
I have some OEM Security Six front sights with the red insert. They are stainless steel, made for the PA State Police Models (Numrich #1218200) and would have to be modified slightly (using your existing front sight) to fit your gun. If you're interested, send me a PM and we can discuss pricing/shipping. Otherwise I would go with the painting of the ramp or getting the front sight insert kit and DIY (it's really not hard to do and you don't have to remove the sight from the gun if you don't want to).

wapiti22

Blackhawk
I installed one of those stainless sights that Ron is talking aboutin my Security six. Wasn't real hard to get it to fit. You will have to drill a 1/16" hole thru the sight for the cross pin that holds it in the ramp.