front grip frame screw almost touching cylinder

Help Support Ruger Forum:

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
I bought my second wrangler today, I noticed while cleaning the front grip frame screw is sticking up in to the frame, its not touching the cylinder but it awfully close. My first wrangler from a few weeks ago has the screw flush with the frame. anyone else have a screw coming up in the cylinder frame? thanks for any help.

sounds like they put the longer of the 5 screws needed for the grip frame, pull them and look for the shortest one and put it in front of the trigger guard........if it is still LONG then simply grind down as "needed", touch up the end with a bit of cold blue so it does NOT show.....neatness counts 8) :roll: :wink:

contender

Ruger Guru
Another option, if the screw is the correct one,, is to get a nylon washer normally used in RC Models, and add it to the screw. No grinding necessary.

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
I called Ruger, they are sending me a screw but wanted me to take all the screws out and check for a short one. I hope I can do this, I have ocd bad when it comes to a new gun, once I have one for a while I can strip them down without worry but I have a hard time taking apart a new unfired gun. I just want to let it go and go get another that isn't messed up, I know that sounds bad but I have always been this way on a new gun, if something ain't right I just don't want to keep it. After its been shot a while tho I can do a complete tear down and put back and it doesn't bother me, its just on a new gun. The lady said I have to check every screw because if the short one is somewhere then it might not hold and fall out. thanks

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
Ok I man up'd and took one screw out at a time, the screw in front is the shortest one so I don't know what happened but Ruger is sending me a screw. I am gonna wait about shooting till that screw comes in, if its the same length then Ruger torqued it too far in. I hope its shorter than this one, but there were no other screws shorter than it in the frame. thanks

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Then the new screw won't likely be any shorter.

Is the cap on the front grip frame screw below the surface of the grip frame when all the way tight? If so the counter bore in the hole in the grip frame is drilled slightly to deep. We see this from time to time, it's no big deal. You'll just have to shorten the screw or add the nylon washer.

You can also wind the waxed type dental floss around the screw under the cap to act as a washer. That's an old method to keep screws from loosening and getting lost that works well.

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
Hondo44 said:
Then the new screw won't likely be any shorter.

Is the cap on the front grip frame screw below the surface of the grip frame when all the way tight? If so the counter bore in the hole in the grip frame is drilled slightly to deep. We see this from time to time, it's no big deal. You'll just have to shorten the screw or add the nylon washer.

You can also wind the waxed type dental floss around the screw under the cap to act as a washer. That's an old method to keep screws from loosening and getting lost that works well.

Bingo we have a winner you hit the nail on the head or screw in this case Hondo44.0. I checked how far down in the frame the screw head is on my first wrangler, its just below the surface, I checked this wrangler and the screw is for sure farther down in the frame, so I guess a washer is in order. Could someone with the right measuring tools tell me the size washer on width and thickness I need. The screw sticks out even tho it doesn't hit the cylinder I can barely fit a credit card between them. thanks for all the help

they just may have drilled through the grip frame and the hole is actually too large so will bottom out further in , probably not even holding at all.........is there a "step" ( shoulder) down in the hole when the screw is out??? or maybe they just did NOT use a short screw, and the five of them are ALL "Long" ones....would have to look,see; but when you say its "deeper" thats NOT a good sign ( we used to make the screw head larger diameter, BUT thats another story, you should NOT have to do that to "new" gun...... :?

Johnnu2

Hunter
HONDO44 is my personal 'go to' man..... He's ALWAYS on the money....

THANKS from all of us Hondo44

p.s. contender is right..... you shouldn't have to monkey around like that with a new gun; maybe you can get them to send you a new grip frame...?>????

John

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
Update: Ruger emailed me and wants the gun back, I was getting ready to send it in when a friend showed up. He said that it didn't bother him and offered me what I paid for it, he is now the owner of a new wrangler. I went back to the store and they had one more and it was good in every way, I bought it, it was black too. So two happy people today, my friend and me. thanks everyone for your help.