From out of the past..............

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
I was muddling along on Facebook (Guilty!) when someone mentioned old time gunsmith F. Bob Chow, of San Francisco from 'way back.

I was stationed at Camp Roberts, California when I got my first Ruger Blackhawk, a .357 Magnum. Even then I disdained the aluminum alloy grip frame. And, being just down the road from San Francisco, I sent a letter of inquiry to Bob Chow, inquiring about the possibility of making me a grip frame of brass. I got a very courteous response for him telling me such a project would be cost prohibitive, as the grip frame, plus new walnut grips, would cost $89!

So, I passed up on that at the time. But did get my .357 beautified many years later. Thanks to Doug Turnbull and Carey Chapman:

Bob Wright

Bob,
Turnbull did these 357s also in 2002. I kept the original grips on mine
A couple of years ago I met Turnbull at the Fredericksburg Texas Airport. He was flying in his Piper Super Cruiser back home after staying at a friends ranch in Texas. His Daughter was also with him. We chatted quite awhile and both are very nice.
1669694336348.png

Last edited:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Somehow I just have an aversion to grips with the medallion insert. I prefer plain grips, either of nice wood or elk stag. Guess that stems from the old cap-and-ball Colts.

Bob Wright