From my Dad's collection....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Back in December my Dad passed away suddenly. He was one week shy of 84 but was in pretty good shape. It was a shock.
I was tasked with being the executor of his estate. He had a dozen or so guns that my brothers and I divided up. My Son was willed one collector rifle and myself another.
First is a Spencer Carbine from the civil war. It has a low 4 digit serial number. My Dad told me he traded a Single Six for it back in 1960. I think he made a REAL good trade! :D When my Son was born he made it clear that my son would get the Spencer when he passed.

Next up is a Winchester Model 71 .348WCF. He bought this one from the original owner back in 1961. Serial number dates to 1940. In my Dad's honor I will use it for my heavy timber elk gun. I hunted elk with this rifle in 1963. It was all there was in his safe that was adequate for elk at that time. It would be great to harvest a bull with this rifle during the upcoming season....

Dave :wink:

mr.deerstalker said:
cool guns, and happy to hear that your son get the spencer....that's gramps must have been a good guy....

scott

Yes he was Scott. I miss him terribly. The 71's original owner was an Alaskan transplanted to Seattle. That is where my Dad bought the rifle. The guy said he shot a lot of moose and some bear with that rifle.

Dave

contender

Ruger Guru
It's family heirlooms like this that are true treasures. Way beyond any money value placed upon them. Great guns & a great story.

eveled

Hawkeye
One of the times I wish there was a like button on this forum. Very nice guns.