French SP 101's who,s got them?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Calthrop

Single-Sixer
I do not have a picture and the box is in the safe. We are going to move and the box is packed away however the gun is not packed because of the weather: rust.
it has the regular grips except where a space was whittled away for the lanyard loop. and there is a French proof mark on the gun.

Anyone else have this variant? Calthrop

Dale53

Blackhawk
While the French "Vichy" Government was a bunch of sissies (or worse) in WW II there were a bunch of really courageous fighters (the Maquis). In addition to the guerrilla tactics used in the mountainous region of France, they helped downed Allied pilots to escape.

We probably should not "slam" all Frenchmen and women with these comments - the Maquis were as good as it gets:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maquis_%28World_War_II%29

Dale53

Landric

Bearcat
Dale53":10wzc1iv said:
While the French "Vichy" Government was a bunch of sissies (or worse) in WW II there were a bunch of really courageous fighters (the Maquis). In addition to the guerrilla tactics used in the mountainous region of France, they helped downed Allied pilots to escape.

We probably should not "slam" all Frenchmen and women with these comments - the Maquis were as good as it gets:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maquis_%28World_War_II%29

Dale53

No doubt you are correct, but there is nothing quite so much fun as good old fashioned French bashing. :D

Calthrop

Single-Sixer
You are not helping with the jokes guys. This is a real Riger issued weapon. It is .38 Special in caliber and has a two inch barrel. No holster just the lanyard set up. Calthrop

AzRebel

Single-Sixer
Cal,

I've never seen one, but it seems like I remember reading something about them at one time or another (or, my memory is going bad, which could be the case). A search on the subject turned up pretty much nada (well, except this thread), so I'm curious.

You said it's a .38 special? Is it the same size as a regular .357 magnum? I know Ruger made some in .38 special, and always wondered what the reason was. Perhaps it started with regulations in other countries dictating the caliber of some guns that were offered?

When were they manufactured?

I'm sorta curious about it, and would enjoy seeing a picture if/when it's available.

Come on guys. If this was a very limited run that'd been sent to Mexico, y'all would be all over it.

Daryl

M'BOGO

Buckeye
I remember reading somewhere that some GIGN were using .357 mag Rugers in some CT situations http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GIGN, after 9MM failures (no I'm not playing bash the 9MM, lets not get that started). I also seem to rembember those frogs helping some anti British insurgents win some war. I think they worked with some WASHINGTON guy.

protoolman

Service-Sixer
Mr. Trausch of Trausch grips used to visit here. He told me a lot about the SP 101s issued in his country-France. Rugers are very popular there. They even have a revolver can't remember the name(Manhurin ?), that is a close copy of the ruger service six. Mini 14s were popular there with the gov't too if I remember right. Anyway his grips are made in Paris France. He does make them there with a cutout for the lanyard loop they have. Hopefully he will chime in if he's still around!

French bashers should actually GO to France and:

Eat. Look at the women (then let your conscience and courage be your guides...). Travel through the countryside, find an "armeurie" and talk to some hunters. Go to Verdun--and see all the "surrender monkeys".
(I get a little touchy about that phrase; my grandfather served alongside French troops on the Western Front in the 89th Division. He had a bunch of medals, but was proudest of his Croix de Guerre).

By the way, the French are inveterate American-bashers, until they come here....and eat real American food. And see some California girls (Texas also figures large, so to speak). And drive around and talk to some real people.

From the recipes that float around this website, I suspect that some of you dang gun nuts know what "real American food" is, by the way. (A fellow could stay fat just readin'!).

I've seen French cops packing SPs and GPs in Paris. They were riot and anti-terrorist police, hard guys. Didn't have the nerve to ask to see their sidearms.

AzRebel

Single-Sixer
Mike,

In truth, the French bashers should study history a bit.

If it weren't for the French, we'd likely still be under Brittish rule, and we'd have no Constitution, or any other rights that are guaranteed by it.

And the "states" signed an agreement with France for their help in freeing us from England, basically saying that if they helped us, we'd help them...

Which we didn't do, when it came time for their own revolution and they asked for our help.

There's reason for bad feelings on both sides, but they don't really solve anything. Like you said, if more folks' could enjoy each other's cultures, there's be a lot less hard feelings in the world.

Daryl

K4AA

Bearcat
We must be grateful for their wonderful gift-the Statue of Liberty.

Knuckles

Buckeye
Why don't we make a big group hug...................... that is after y'all finish smoke'n your hand rolled sputniks :roll:

Emaho

Bearcat
AzRebel and Mike Armstrong:

Good and true thoughts. Thanks for posting in favor of a little understanding in this crazy, dangerous world. Truth is, if all people had the chance to get to really know one another, warlords and politicians would be in the dumpster of history.

Dale 53:

Thank you, too. Just proves that being exceptional isn't a strictly American trait.

Anyhow, the question of the French SP 101 is interesting. Shows what a wide and varied phenomenon Ruger Firearms is. Any other historians want to share more Ruger facts like this?

Calthrop

Single-Sixer
Thank you all for looking and responding.
What I was looking for is some kind of idea of the dispersal of these guns after they returned from their trip abroad. Calthrop

22/45 Fan

Hunter
AzRebel":32it7yj4 said:
If it weren't for the French, we'd likely still be under Brittish rule, and we'd have no Constitution, or any other rights that are guaranteed by it.
Don't give the French too much credit. They didn't help the American Colonies out of any sense of altruism. They did it because we were fighting their traditional enemy, the British, and "the enemy of my enemy is my friend." They would have supported anyone if it could hurt the British. Remember, the France of 1776 - 1782 was an absolute monarchy. It was no friend of any democratic ideals.

AzRebel":32it7yj4 said:
Which we didn't do, when it came time for their own revolution and they asked for our help.
OK, which side was asking for our help, the revolutionaries or the Royalists? Which side should we have helped and how?

Knuckles

Buckeye
Getting back on topic, the Fink,... I-mean French SP101's were on Gunbroker all the time, but I haven't seen any this summer.