FRENCH RAILWAY POLICE SP101

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Toyman

Single-Sixer
I received my SP 101 today from the serial number looks like shipped in 2000.
The gun came with a type of security holster and is equipped with Trausch grips. There was a lanyard fixture that is attached through a slot in the butt and held in place by a large roil pin.
the hole in the grips look like it was done with a Dremel tool, just routed out a hole.
The gun is clean needs to be treated with Mothers and elbow grease, the trigger pull is smooth and not to heavy. This is my first experience with SP101 and wondering of the round hole in the frame is standard or if Ruger cast the frame especially for the French.
gt2D9v9.jpg

NewportNewsMike

Single-Sixer
Congratulations on a nice find. The hole is standard. What I see in your picture looks like every other SP I have seen.

The round hole is the way Ruger holds on its grips. There is a pin that slides through the grip to hold it on, and then the grip panel covers it all up.

Editted to add: Here is a Youtube video showing how it all fits together: www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaWueQRucWw

Toyman

Single-Sixer
THANKS
It looks like the slot that the lanyard fixture fits in was not standard on the SP101 and was milled especially for the French gun.

hittman

Staff member
Member Chet15 will know about that lanyard thingy..... it looks home made in the picture though.

And, if you hit the finish lightly with a green or burgundy scotch brite pad you can duplicate the factory finish.

P89DC

Single-Sixer
Does this gun have some cool stamping such as a NYC Police revolver? The kludged lanyard strap is interesting....

Toyman

Single-Sixer
Import mark along top edge of the frame. The Lanyard loop is a simple modification, a slot is milled through the frame where the hole is. An edge of the loop fixture is inserted and held in place by the roll pin. A hole was cut through the grips and the bottom of the grip looks to be routed out to allow hooking to bottom of the fixture.

protoolman

Service-Sixer
I used to correspond with Mr. Trausch. The grips without the hole he sent me clearly show a circle in the plastic that I assume was where the lanyard hole was. I never asked him about the mechanics of the lanyard though.