Free spin pawl ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

a454me

Bearcat
I recently traded for a Ruger NM Blackhawk that a previous owner had changed to a "free spin pawl " what is involved in returning this gun to it's original condition ?Was a part added or replaced ?
thanks

I_Like_Pie

Blackhawk
The piece that actually turns the cylinder when you bring the hammer back is the pawl. If it is already fitted with one...I can speak for just about everyone here that is is a great modification that Ruger should have done from the factory.

It is a $30 part from Brownells that allows the cylinder to spin both ways when the loading gate is open. A stock gun only spins one way and can be frustrating when loading big cartridges in the .4X range.

Ask the person you got it from if they still have the old pawl. You can revert back, but if it functions 100% there is no real reason to. This is like icing on a blued steel cake. If they don't you will have to get a factory one from midway or brownells and fit it to where the gun indexes properly. Not too hard to do unless you don't like taking things apart.

a454me

Bearcat
The "free spin pawl" in my gun works like it's supposed to and I agree it is handy while loading those fat .45 Colt cartridges but I was just curious if I ever decided to put it back to it's original configuration .I like the icing on the cake comparison however mine is a stainless steel cake !I'll have to see if my friend still has the original part .
Thanks for the reply !

tn gun runner, there is no guarantee his free spin pawl will be a drop in in your gun. You can make your pawl free spin and do it while its in the gun. All you need is a file. I take mine out to do it. I think you have to fit the Powers pawls to the gun. I'm too cheap, you can make a bunch of them for that money yourself. Eric

Tx gun runner

Single-Sixer
eric conrad":2sluwx05 said:
tn gun runner, there is no guarantee his free spin pawl will be a drop in in your gun. You can make your pawl free spin and do it while its in the gun. All you need is a file. I take mine out to do it. I think you have to fit the Powers pawls to the gun. I'm too cheap, you can make a bunch of them for that money yourself. Eric
I know I've installed 10 of them only 2 where drop in and had to fit
the other 8.. I've got 2 guns I just got the 25th to put power pawl in
and I was hoping it would work in one of the two .. Thank you for
trying save me

coach

Hunter
A few years ago someone posted instructions & photos how to modify the pawl to free spin. A Canadian as I recall who was quite helpful. I tried it with a super single six, but wasn't quite able to get it to work. I finally replaced it with a Powers pawl. It went in fairly easily. I found the little cartridges easier to deal with when I could turn the cylinder both ways.
Any number of people were able to get the mod to work on Blackhawks. I never attempted it on my mine.
The modification is only a bit of file work with the pawl out of the gun, although some claimed it could be done with a dremel without removal, something I wouldn't do.
This would have been before the software change at the site. I don't know if the old posts are available anymore.

dlb, try this. click on search box, in search query box put in free spin pawl in search for author put in ruffbird in search options-forum= ruger-smithing category= ammunition,gunsmithing & reloading hit search four topics should show up open the first and second one the post by ruffbird has a web site that is good. The picture shows it very good. You can do this it is easy just go slow and in no time the cyl. will spin nice and free.
If it gets screwed up the worst that can happen is you will have to get a new pawl and fit it. Make it the same as the factory pawl. I file the factory pawl. The picture in the post says it all.
Good luck Eric

Short Barrel

Blackhawk
One of the other advantages to the free wheeling cylinder is when you have a bullet "jump crimp".Ordinarily this would put your gun out of commission.With the free wheeling gun,you can reverse the cylinder and get the offending round back to the loading gate and eject it as usual.I've had to do this a couple times and it sure is a great feature.

Tx gun runner

Single-Sixer
I shoot sass matches.. I shoot with one hand and every once in awhile
my thumb slips off hammer when it's 3/4 of the way back.. If you
recock it , that chamber will by pass and go to next round... but with
the spin free pawl reach up and turn cylinder back to it stop, now it will
go back to the chamber you dropped hammer on.. now you don't need
to go all the way around the cylinder to pick it up

Blackhawk Convertable

Single-Sixer
I bet you mean this pic:

FreeSpinPawlMod.jpg

Tx gun runner

Single-Sixer
I just put SBH hammers on these 357 and I did the pawl mod also..
The pawl mod works great, but it won't let me turn cylinder backwards
if the hammer is dropped before it's locked, the power pawl will. so
if I was to use these guns in a match I would put the power pawls in it..
since I'm not this works great and saved me $60
sheriff357.jpg

Thank for posting pic ..I put it on screen and did mods on these 2 guns at computer desk

Short Barrel

Blackhawk
That basepin is the stock factory basepin for the short Sheriff's model.It has to be short because the ejector rod is shorter and doesn't give you as much stroke as the standard length one.

Tx gun runner

Single-Sixer
Plus if the base pin is not shorten with the 3' ejecter housing will not
let the cylinder removal possible .. It will leave 3/8 of basepin in cyl
when it hit the stop