Free spin pawl question.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

medicdave

Blackhawk
Hi all, I bought a set of 45 colt stainless sheriff model vaqueros that have the free spin pawls installed. I though it would be interesting to have one in 45acp so I installed the acp cylinder from my accusport bisley that never gets used. The cylinder fits well and is timed correctly, but it is not free spinning. It has the normal clicks and stops. What needs to be done to free spin the acp cylinder....Dave

flatgate

Hawkeye
Ruger's free spin pawl has a "foot" or "cam" that rocks the pawl rearward as the hammer is let down to the "at rest" position. Your ACP cylinder's ratchet is probably a tiny bit longer and is catching on the tip of the pawl.

W/O having your gun in my hands I cannot really say much else except one question; Who's free spin pawl do you have? Sturm, Ruger & Co. or an aftermarket accessory (or Homeboy modification)?

If aftermarket then, perhaps, the tip of the top tooth may need a clearance cut......

flatgate

medicdave

Blackhawk
AFAIK its power custom pawl. I think you hit the nail on the head with the cylinder length, as it fit in one of the sheriffs, but not the other. I'll look at the pawl and see if its a bit long...>Dave

Guns-N-Rugers

Bearcat
When fitting a Power Custom free spin pawl, you have to do some "fitting" by filing some material off the pawl to get it to free spin.
If you do this for the ACP cylinders, the pawl may not work properly with the Colt cylinders.