Free-spin pawl on a Super Blackhawk?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SoliDeoGloria

Bearcat
Hello. I have a Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44Mag with the 4 5/8" barrel. I have always wanted a free spin cylinder and didn't know if anyone else has had this modification done? If so, did you do it yourself and how difficult was it? I have experience changing out hammers/mainsprings/mag releases on semi-autos, but not much with altering a SA revolver. Any input would be great.

2011-12-20223959.jpg

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
It's very easy. Do a search on the topic. I've done it without even disassembling the gun. I just used a Dremel on the last couple I've done. Just don't take too much off. BTW, nice looking iron you have.

COR

Blackhawk
I've actually got an extra free spin pawl that was in a SBH if you want it.

PM me your mailing address and I'll send it to you. It should drop in but sometimes they do require some fitting but very "do able" by anyone with an ounce of patience.

SoliDeoGloria

Bearcat
COR said:
I've actually got an extra free spin pawl that was in a SBH if you want it.

PM me your mailing address and I'll send it to you. It should drop in but sometimes they do require some fitting but very "do able" by anyone with an ounce of patience.

Thank you so much that is very generous. PM sent! :D

Dale53

Blackhawk
I have a Ruger SS Bisley .45 Colt/.45 ACP Convertible. I had it in to my local Pistolsmith for a trigger job. I furnished this web site information (see Tellico above) to him and asked him to either do this one or fit a Power Custom.

After looking at the web site, he did my gun and told me that would be his new "standard" as it was easier than fitting a new Power Custom Pawl.

It works as intended. I actually prefer the new Ruger pawl set up as done on the New Vaquero and the new Flattops but the free spin is considerably better than stock, in my view.

It is a worthy addition.

Dale53

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Once you do the free spin pawl you're halfway to the New Vaq and FTs.

Just add the pawl, spring and retaining screw. Less than $10 in parts and all you have to do is drill one small hole and tap threads in it.

Latest posts