Frame Sizes on OM BH revolvers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dougader

Hunter
Is the 357 OM, the only OM BH frame that is smaller than the 44 SBH?

What about the OM frames for:

41 mag
45 Colt
44 mag?

Which ones are the same and which ones are smaller... like the 44 Special Lipseys?

Thanks!

pvtschultz

Blackhawk
The short barreled (<7.5") Supers use the smaller XR3-RED grip frame of the Blackhawks which has been in production since late 1962 - early 1963. Prior to that, the slightly smaller XR3 grip frame had been used.

The current Lipsey's revolvers are using the "new" XR3 grip frame of the New Vaquero/Montado which is very similar to the XR3 grip frame of the earliest Blackhawks. The 50th Anniversary Blackhawks used this grip frame as well.

The Blackhawks (new and old), Vaquero, Single Six, Old Army, Super Single Six, and short barreled Supers still use the XR3-RED shaped grip frames.

The 7.5 inch NM SBH and the SBH Hunter use the same larger sized grip frame although the trigger guard is different.

ShakyJake

Bearcat
pvtschultz
That explanation should get you at least cpl. I also had to go have a cup of coffee and 2 Bayer. Not your fault, blame Ruger. Thanks for the breakdown. Makes my day when I learn something. Nice to know my Single Six can take those heavy loads. :p
TaKe CaRe
Ted

dougader

Hunter
pvtschultz":xa43047n said:
The current Lipsey's revolvers are using the "new" XR3 grip frame of the New Vaquero/Montado which is very similar to the XR3 grip frame of the earliest Blackhawks. The 50th Anniversary Blackhawks used this grip frame as well.

Does this include both the 357 mag and the 44 mag anniversary revolvers that were produced?

StanMemTn

Single-Sixer
Yes, they both have the new XR-3 gripframe modeled after the original 1955 Blackhawk gripframe.
The Anniversary Super Blackhawk obviously uses the Super Blackhawk gripframe.

I have found it interesting reading posts by folks who have gotten one of the Anniversary .44 Mag Blackhawks and then complain about the small XR-3 gripframe.
I feel like Elmer Keith and Bill Ruger must be somewhere saying, "I d--n well told you so!"

-Stephen

dougader

Hunter
OK. I get the grip frame part. The grip frame is the lower part that you attach grips to, and in turn you attach the grip frame to the frame/housing itself. The frame is what the barrel is screwed into.

So what about the frame itself? The Lispseys 44 Special has a smaller frame and a smaller cylinder compared to my NM Blackhawk in 45 Colt.

Which BH/SBH models have the smaller frame and cylinder like the 44 Special Lipseys revolvers? Is it only the older OM/Flat top 357 and 50th Anniversary Flat top 357 mag revolvers?

And do the 50th Anni guns have steel grip frames like the Lipseys 44 Special?

flatgate

Hawkeye
The only NM centerfires with the "medium" sized Cylinder Frame and with flat top straps and Micro sights are the 50 Anniv. .357's and the Lipsey's .44 Specials.

All the New Vaqueros, which are rollmarked with those very words, use the "medium" sized platform.

Most all "medium" sized New Models use the "new" XR-3 grip frame. Exceptions are Bisley New Vaqueros and maybe one other?????....I can't keep up with all the changes.... :D

flatgate

dougader

Hunter
Do the NM "medium frame" guns all come with the steel gripframe?

How about the OM Flat top 357?

My Lipseys looks great with the steel gripframe.

My NM 45 Colt BH has an aluminum gripframe and I have to admit, I like the lighter weight.

I wonder if I can find a small grip frame for my Lipseys 44...

c.r.

Single-Sixer
Doug,
yes, the NM medium frame guns all come with a steel version of the XR-3 gripframe. Old Model flattops..........nope, these have the original aluminum XR-3 gripframes. Your Lipsey 44 spec. has the "small grip frame" (the steel version of the xr-3 grip frame)

the New Models that come with steel grip frames are:
all stainless guns
bisleys
super blackhawks
any new model with a "flattop"
Vaqueros
New Vaqueros

I think I got them all :)

~c.r.

Latest posts