Frame Size question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Green Frog

Single-Sixer
I was under the impression that the stainless frame of my Blackhawk Eight Shooter in 327 Fed Mag is a Super Blackhawk sized frame, but my shooting buddy who has had and shot many more Rugers than I have looked at the frame marking, "New Model Blackhawk" and insisted that it was a smaller, mid-sized frame. I thought all of that vintage Blackhawk frames had been "supersized". Who is right? Somebody please settle this for us.

TIA ~ Froggie

hittman

Staff member
I believe your friend is correct but I'm NOT the authority on Single Actions.

the Supers say just that "Super Blackhawk" for ....if its marked "Blackhawk" then it is just the grip frames can and will come in various sizes, and yes to confuse things you now will see Blackhawk sized grip frames on the Supers especially if they have the shorter 5 1/2 inch barrels..........go figure:cool::rolleyes:;)

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Froggie, you're right!

The 8 shot .327 is built on the Large Blackhawk/Super Bkackhawk frame which are the same frame size!

Do not pay any attention to the frame markings to determine frame size, the Blackhawk and Super Blackhawk terms only identify the models as having the target sights. The Super in Super Blackhawk identifies other features such as the 44 Mag chambering and sometimes the larger grip size (on models with barrels over 5 1/2"), and the smooth cyl except on the 5 1/2" model.

Mid-frame Ruger single actions, both old and new models are also marked Blackhawk.

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
Just so we're on the same page , there are Grip frames where the stocks go, and Frame frames where the cylinder and lockworks go .

contender

Ruger Guru
"Just so we're on the same page , there are Grip frames where the stocks go, and Frame frames where the cylinder and lockworks go ."

We call the frame portion that holds the lockwork & cylinder the "mainframe." And yes,, the grip frame is a different part.

For the OP,,, your main frame Blackhawk .327 has the same main frame as the Super Blackhawk. (Just like mine is.)

Green Frog

Single-Sixer
All right, if we ignore the late release Flat Tops, are the mainframes of all of the current Blackhawks the same, large size whether 327, 357, 41, or 44? I have the idea, right or wrong, that the late "New Model" Blackhawks all came with the same larger frames, while the earlier Blackhawks had smaller more compact frames that were insufficient for he 44 Magnum, but are now popular for their smaller size with smaller calibers. The Super Blackhawk came to being for 44 Magnums, but then the larger frame was used for all of the CF calibers??

My head is starting to hurt!

Froggie

Hondo44

Hawkeye
We can't ignore the late release Flattop BHs or the New Vaqueros because although most are Mid main frame size, some of them are large main frames, namely the .41 Mag and .44 Mag.

All other BHs and the original Vaqueros are the same size large main frame including old model BHs, except of course the .357 Mag., (the original mid- size main frame). And the new model .357 Maximum one other exception, being a horizontally longer large main frame.

Latest posts