Found: GS-34H with mis-marked frame "Police Service Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Terry T

Buckeye
Found and confirmed with Ruger Records a rare GS-34H with an even more rare mis-marked cylinder frame marked as a Police Service Six instead of the proper Speed Six. Outer shipper and inner box also state "Speed Six". Serial Number 159-87714. (Sorry for the poor quality photos.)

rugerGS-34HMISLABELED4.jpg

rugerGS-34HMISLABELED2.jpg

rugerGS-34HMISLABELED1.jpg

Chad's book lists only 3 such examples. This may be one of the "reworked frames to fill a limited run for a special contract".

Terry T

chet15

Hawkeye
Hmm, they must be coming out of the woodwork as a couple days ago I saw a GS-32P that was rollmarked "POLICE SERVICE SIX". I know that one's right because it was NIB and the shipping sleeve was marked GS-32P. Serial number 161-85971.
Chet15

Terry T

Buckeye
Chet,
Interesting. I'd guess that there are a few more if Ruger's practice was to 'fix' a few sq. butts in to round butts to fill out contracts.

Mine seems to be the first 4" discovered. It would make sense that fewer 4" would exist as there are significantly fewer 4" (than 2") round butt guns out there.

Even so, mine appears to have been an 'over run' as it was sold in a retail gun store catering to police sales. It was purchased and used as a duty weapon by a female city police officer who liked the smaller grip.

It seems like an oxymoron to have a special 'fix' to a round butt to fill a contract and then have that piece show up as an 'over run'.

Terry

Terry T

Buckeye
Weaselmeatgravy,
Very nice!
What can I say about a couple of guys who pay extra to pick up pieces with the markings all messed up? :shock:

Some day I hope Ruger will let us know what the real story is behind these. :D

Terry T

Terry T

Buckeye
I measured the butts on several round butt and sq. butt 'six' series Ruger to see if I could tell if my mismarked speed six was originally a service six. I found that the wide part of the bottom of the butt is consistently 7/32" high on the service six and 9/32" high on the speed sixs (scalloped frame). It would seem that my mismarked speed six (marked service six) could not have been originally a service six with the butt rounded off. The measured portion would have been the smaller measurement.

The factory identified it as a GS-34H.

Some unusual 'six' series - left to right 3" 38, 4" 357, mismarked 4" 357, 3" .357, and 4" 9mm.

PA170359.jpg

PA170361.jpg

Terry T

Latest posts