Found an RST4

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Coming home from Home Depot yesterday, I decided to stop by a LGS for a quick peek at the used inventory. Found this 1965 vintage RST4 on the shelf. Looks to be about 95% with a few minor blems. $225 plus tax. I installed some walnut panels I had on hand. Not bad for a 50 year old gun. :wink: Another gun to test at the range! :D

Nice one at a really nice price! Just picked up a 1958 RST6 from a member here to replace one I bought that same year and traded in on a Super Bearcat later. Still have the 'Cat, but wanted the Standard too.

This "new" one is a little more worn than yours but I do intend to carry and shoot it a lot, so that's not a problem. Have learned to never buy safe queens--they have a tendency to cause me some stress when I start using them hard. Don't need any more of THAT!

Mike Armstrong said:
Nice one at a really nice price! Just picked up a 1958 RST6 from a member here to replace one I bought that same year and traded in on a Super Bearcat later. Still have the 'Cat, but wanted the Standard too.

This "new" one is a little more worn than yours but I do intend to carry and shoot it a lot, so that's not a problem. Have learned to never buy safe queens--they have a tendency to cause me some stress when I start using them hard. Don't need any more of THAT!

This one is not a safe queen from my point of view. It will see range use for sure.... :D

Dave

I have bought "unfired" classics before. But they only stayed that way as long as it took for me to get to a range.... My "collector" friends cringe, but I tell 'em it is just my duty to make their still unfired stuff more valuable! I'm just not a collector.

tinman

Buckeye
That is a nice gun. And just for the record.....I don't buy tools to NOT use........and I do not buy guns to NOT shoot. 8)

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
THAT is the pistol that by his own admission warmed the cuckholds of W. B. Ruger's heart all the way from the left to the right ventricle.
And so it goes...

street

Hunter
For all of you that like to shoot very rare guns, take a look at this gun. Here is a prime example of taking a $5000 single digit gun and making a $100 shooter. It would have been a lot more profitable to have saved this gun and box and papers, and sold it to a collector and taking the money and bought a whole safe full of shooters. And if the box was a green wreath box, you could add an other $1000 to $1500 more :roll: :roll: :roll:

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=218238

Nice gun Dave, you done REAL good,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,sad to say that LW 'street' refers too is just a commentary on the real "facts of life" of why Ruger and all the others built the guns in the first place, to shoot and use........................and yes, it can be "saved" 8)

Good to know it shoots, but they mostly do unless somebody has dinged the crowning at the muzzle (not a hard thing to fix).

I sometimes wonder why Ruger bothered to alter the original model at all, except for the auto hold open introduced on the MKII. THAT is an improvement, although anyone who is even minimally trained in safe gun handling can use an original Standard or MKI their whole life without incident (I speak from experience--I've had one since I turned 18 in 1961, and fired one a bunch for five years before that). The rest of the Mark II changes seem to me to be entirely cosmetic. And the MKIII....DON'T get me started.

No wonder Bill Ruger was proud of his "Standard."