Found a Ruger mini-14, need advice.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Clint C

Bearcat
I found a Ruger mini-14 today at a gun show. It had the external bolt release button so I think it was a 180 series. It had wood on the topside of the gun and not plastic. It also had a two inch flash supresor like on a M-14. Price was $469.00. What can you guys tell me to look for on these rifles? Are they good, bad, is it a good price? It was in great condition no blue wear, no scratchs in the wood.

Thanks, Clint

kwg020

Bearcat
Ruger does not support the 180 series anymore. You are taking yuor chances with the rifle. I would not give what they are asking if you buy it. You're on your own if you buy it. kwg

Plinker MKII

Bearcat
I wish I still have my early 180 series Mini, it was a classic. I got into a selling mode many years ago and sold it for a good profit.

Really? Ruger will not help you if you have a problem with a early Mini-14?

sebtool

Blackhawk
I've got a 180 series that's a pretty good shooter, at least compared to what I hear from others on here and their experiences.

I'd say that the pricing's probably a little high from what I've seen. n teh other hand, I've watched 2 of the old wood handguards go for $150+ on feebay recently. I was looking for 1 to experiment with a scout scope set up, but not at those prices!

The 180's did command a bit of a premium several years ago, but I don't think that's the case lately. wasn't there a guy who had 1 listed in the classifieds here for $400 a few months ago? Don't think it lasted long, tho... :wink:

Clint C

Bearcat
LOL, well someone offered me a all numbers matching Russian SKS, 100 rounds of ammunition, big military cleaning kit, ammo pouch that goes around your waist and has suspenders (will probably never use) and a shell extractor, plus original box. They offered all that for a .22lr that I had posted on a sight and I took the trade. Its a great rifle, shoots like a dream.
When I was at the range shooting it some guy that was there gave me 40 rounds of ammunition.
I wasn't really looking for an SKS, but always wanted to replace the one I sold years ago.

desertrat

Single-Sixer
I'm looking at getting one (mini-14) here pretty soon. Does the gas system have to be cleaned often, or is the gun pretty much maintenance free?

Plinker MKII

Bearcat
Gas system is very easy to get at, but even the instructions tell you not to touch it. I wouldn't say the Mini is maintenance free, but it is pretty reliable even in the worst situations. It's not that hard to take apart and can be cleaned and lubed in a few minutes.

desertrat

Single-Sixer
Thanks Plinker for the information. I'm still getting a mini 14. Been wanting one (or an AR15 clone) for a long time now. The AR15 clones don't appeal to me like the mini does because the mini looks and feels like a real rifle & not some kind of plastic and aluminum hybrid. Don't get me wrong, I still like the clones, its just that dollar for dollar the mini is a better deal IMO.

desertrat

Single-Sixer
What typical gunpowder do reloaders use to load the .223 with, say, a 55 gn fmj bullet?

Also, is there an advantage to getting a mini 14 with a synthetic stock vs. a wooden one, or is it mostly personal preference?

mattsbox99

Hunter
I have an All Weather Ranch that has been a great rifle, its plenty accurate and super easy to clean. They are also very sturdy and made of steel. Mine has never jammed, but factory mags are the key to reliable operation.

I load Montana Gold 55 grain FMJs with Ramshot TAC powder, but there are many good choices out there, including W748, AA2520, Benchmark, Varget, H335, H322, Reloder 7, Reloder 10x, and IMR 4198.

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
never cleaned the gas tube on mine. I do keep the bolt open when
not in use because after sitting for a long time they are sometimes hard to open.
Despite the warnings to only use factory mags, I have used everything with good results. Eagle mags are great mags, the kind with the roll up steel. Kinda hard to find though.
Also Pro mags are only $12 bucks and work great.

Latest posts