Found........... 1st Year Production Ruger No. 1 .243 Win

Help Support Ruger Forum:

lovemydals

Buckeye
Today, the gun shop I work part-time at took in several longguns & handguns on consignment. There were two Ruger Number 1 rifles. The first one is chambered in .243 Win (s/n 387) & has a Guns & Ammo medallion mounted on left side of the forearm just forward of the receiver. The second one is chambered in .25-'06 Rem (s/n 130-23xxx) & is a 200th Year Liberty gun. Both have scopes mounted on them. There are no boxes. Both have manuals with thier s/n's written on them. Were the Number 1 rifles shipped with scope bases & rings?

I'm courious about the first one (s/n 387). Any chance that this is a subscription s/n? If so, does anyone know who had this s/n? The finish on the receiver is turning plum color. The G&A medallion is interesting. Any idea why this would be mounted on the rifle?

I'm thinking about purchasing the second rifle (200th Year Liberty). Fair market value?

There were four Ruger handguns. Two Mark II's (Competition Target & Government Target models), a NM Super Blackhawk & NM Blackhawk in .41 Mag. All have scopes mounted on them & the Mark II's have barrel compensators mounted on them. The Competition Target Mark II has a handgun target that is Sturm, Ruger Company marked along the top & the s/n is written along the bottem with someones initials. There is a nice grouping in the bullseye.

There were two other handguns. The first one is a Wichita Arms Model Wichita Silhouette Pistol (WSP) in 7mm IHMSA cal & has a scope mounted on it. The second one is a Savage Model 516 in 22-250 cal & it has a Burris scope mounted on it.

Longguns included a Pre '64 Winchester Model 70 (s/n 433xxx) chambered in .300 Weatherby Mag & I think it's a custom rifle since this chambering isn't listed in the Pre '64 s/n range (52,549 - 581,471). I did find this chambering in the Post '64 Model 70 listings in the Blue Book of Gun Values. Also, there is a Post '64 Winchester chambered in .243 Win. Both rifles have scopes mounted on them.

Any additional info will be appreciated.

lmd

PS. The gentleman who owned these firearms passed away in February & his widow contacted the store to assist her in finding new owners who will appreciate her husbands firearms as much as he did.

chet15

Hawkeye
I would say at such an early date, the Number 1 rifle #387 would not have been involved in Ruger's low serial number program. When the #1 came out, Ruger hadn't even passed the number of 100 I don't believe, except for those special higher numbers #1000 and #1130.
Chet15

El Numero Uno

Buckeye
Chet15; #1000 was not in the program; it is a 24" AHS in .270 made up by Lenard Brownell for one of his Sheridan, WY friends. After 16 years, I finally acquired it last year from the son of the original owner. #1130 was in the Program, as you know. #100 was also; my memory tells me it went to Lyman. I think there were a few higher numbers(gb427 should know of one) and I always thought #250 and #400 might have been. But, #387- I doubt that it was.