Forum for the .327? .327 Fed Mag Users Unite!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Just re-read most of the older comments.

Why would Ruger have stopped production on the 8 shot Blackhawk back in 2012 or 2013?

They really didn't even give it time to become popular. Yet, now they produce a variety of .327 revolvers.

Did they have some sort of problem making the 8 shot cylinder?

Does anyone know?

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
Just re-read most of the older comments.

Why would Ruger have stopped production on the 8 shot Blackhawk back in 2012 or 2013?

They really didn't even give it time to become popular. Yet, now they produce a variety of .327 revolvers.

Did they have some sort of problem making the 8 shot cylinder?

Does anyone know?

Viewed as cool because they are not common but in reality, many found them to be a little too much gun for the caliber. The average shooter seems to find the Single Seven as an ideal marriage of gun size and caliber.
I do not have one, but I do have Buckeyes and a 30carbine. Yup, they are huge for caliber also.
I believe if the concept comes back it would be on a Mid-framed flat-top, and that might be a dandy.

Last edited:
I do have one of the 8 shot Blackhawks. They are indeed heavy, BUT! This means the recoil is very limited.

I'm just curious why Ruger would drop a gun from their line up so fast.

Also, as another question, if I need to send my gun back to Ruger, would they be able to fix it? I don't have the need, just a hypothetical question.

Snake Pleskin

Banned
I do have one of the 8 shot Blackhawks. They are indeed heavy, BUT! This means the recoil is very limited.

I'm just curious why Ruger would drop a gun from their line up so fast.

Also, as another question, if I need to send my gun back to Ruger, would they be able to fix it? I don't have the need, just a hypothetical question.
I think the 30 carbine was a useless round to put in a Black hawk. The .327 is close to that too. As mentioned before , it is too much gun for the round. It would be better off in a Single Six size if the frame could handle the pressure etc. Ruger is a business. It was stopped because it did not sell as well as they thought or they wanted to use the resources for something else.(IMHO)

Bad Barlow

Blackhawk
Viewed as cool because they are not common but in reality, many found them to be a little too much gun for the caliber. The average shooter seems to find the Single Seven as an ideal marriage of gun size and caliber.
I do not have one, but I do have Buckeyes and a 30carbine. Yup, they are huge for caliber also.
I believe if the concept comes bask it would be on a Mid-framed flat-top, and that might be a dandy.
Leading in gun bores increases with bullet weight,due to the greater inertia,and resistance to being "spun".
At any given velocity,32's will lead the bore less,or not at all ,than larger calibers.
Just one more reason to LOVE 32's!(of which I confess to having 7)

Rocdoc

Buckeye
As far as Ruger supporting the discontinued 8 shooter Blackhawk, not sure, but I would think no. Good news it is a blackhawk so all the guts from any other Blackhawk would work, except of course the pawl would differ.

arcee

Bearcat
The cylinder on the Blackhawk .327 is longer than any other .327 cylinder that Ruger makes (including the single-seven. I own one of each.
Why do we care about the longer cylinder? Handloader's can load Ramshot enforcer up to it's potential and still fit a 113 gr GC Cast Performance flatnose into the cylinder without extending beyond the cylinder.

57springer

Buckeye
Considering this thread laid dead in the archives for 9 years, it seems the conversation about the caliber isn't a hot button issue.

But, I'm a huge 41 Mag fan too so …. Have no room to complain. LOL
I guess some guns have to "go away " before they become popular ! I have been guilty of this myself .

Springer2

Bearcat
The cylinder on the Blackhawk .327 is longer than any other .327 cylinder that Ruger makes (including the single-seven. I own one of each.
Why do we care about the longer cylinder? Handloader's can load Ramshot enforcer up to it's potential and still fit a 113 gr GC Cast Performance flatnose into the cylinder without extending beyond the cylinder.
You are exactly right. We have a Blackhawk and GP100 in 327 mag. We also have gas check bullet molds in 327 of 116, 120, and 132. The Blackhawk cylinder will handle all of these where I believe they would be too long for the Single Six frame.

Last edited:

Bad Barlow

Blackhawk
You are exactly right. We have a Blackhawk and GP100 in 327 mag. We also have gas check bullet molds in 327 of 116, 120, and 132. The Blackhawk cylinder will handle all of these where I believe they would be too long for the Single Six frame.
The 327 will chamber and fire 32 S&W,32S&W long ,32H&R,327 Fed Mag,AND 32acp!
Versatile,yes.
One MORE reason to love it!

Whiterabbit

Bearcat
Well, since I see all the32 cal fans in one spot, does anyone know of a boutique defense bullet like the 50gr deep hollow pointed 9mm?

327 fed seems like just the right design for a similar load with a hyper deep HP with tough bullet construction to absolutely explode watermellons while leaving no exit wound.

Maybe it's blasphemy here, but have you guys ever heard of the T-C Contender?

I Have one in .327 (a carbine) and have a 10" pistol barrel on order. Makes a lot more sense than some of the revolver offerings that have come out. Unless you are a hearing aid manufacturer.

Can you imagine what shooting a snubbie .327 in your bedroom or in a car would be like? Two casualties for one shot--one gunshot wound, one broken eardrum? ("Sorry 911 operator, I can't hear you") Most of us don't wear hearing protection to bed, do we?. Now, a 6 1/2" or 7 1/2" or a ten inch actually makes some sense when outdoors....

Last edited: