Forgive me for succumbing

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
I have sinned. I bought my very first Glock last week, and I like it 😧. A G34 gen 5 MOS. Put a red dot on it also. Got it sighted in and ran about 50rnds of Blazer 115grn FMJ without a single issue.

rad9F2r.jpg

Last mag target - 17 rnds offhand from10yds. A few flyers - totally my fault.

glock-with-dot-jpg.315772

GunnyGene good for you!

When Glocks first hit the local gun shops in my area my wife bought me a model 19 for Christmas. I have put more rounds through that
gun than any other center fire handgun that I own. It is my daily carry piece most of the time & as a matter of fact she is laying with in arm's reach right now!! ;)
I also had a model 17 Long Slide at one time and like an idiot traded it in a gun deal. I plan to correct that moment of lunacy when the chance arises. (y)

Terry

After doing a lot of work for many customers on their Glocks (upgrades) I wanted to see what they were all about. If you look on a lot of forums it seems people either love or hate Glocks, no in between. Well got a GREAT deal on a Gen 3 Glock 22 (full size .40 S&W - police trade in that looked like it was never issued). Took it out, shot it. At first groups weren't great, but a bad guy would not have survived. Once I got use to the grip my group size shrank significantly. I attribute that to all the years I shot competition, IMO, when you shoot in competitions, many times you are shooting different guns a lot and you just have to adapt your grip with each one and over the years you learn to adapt your grip fairly quickly.

Then a couple years ago I got a 4 year old NIB Glock 19 Gen 4 again at a good price One of my foreign national customers stopped by the shop with it (I orignally transferred it to him 4 years prior). In it's carrying case and had a paddle holster, a nice embroidered soft Glock case, extra magazine and a 31 rnd Glock mag (????). He had finished up his PhD and was headed home and wanted to sell it. I explained consignments, private sales, etc. He said he was leaving (back to China) in 2 weeks and wanted to sell it as quick as possible. Well, I looked at the gun, it was just like I had just transferred it, Glock paperwork envelope was never opened, NO marks on the magazines, NO marks on the feed ramp, everything that comes with it still in the same position. I don't think he ever bought ammo for it and I wonder if he ever even handled it after he bought it. But you have to remember, for a lot of these guys it's just the fact (and status symbol) that they can buy and own a gun in the US where it is forbiddeen in China.

Thought about it for about 30 seconds (remember all the stuff that came with it) and told him "I'll give you $300 for it" He looked at the girl he was with, looked at me with a big smile and said "OK" I almost smacked myself in the head thinking, da**, I should have offered him 250 :) I paid him and said goodbye and have a safe trip back home. He said he was looking forward to being with his family again and left (I checked, he was driving a nice Mercedes SUV.)

Now before you chastize me, these Chinese in the US getting a PhD, money really doesn't mean a thing to them. They come from RICH Chinese families. They will buy a $100,000 Maserati, drive it for six months, store it for 6 months then ship it back to China (new luxury car importation is closely regulated but a 1 year old car is considered a used car and can be imported easily.)

So I got my 2nd Glock pretty cheap. Tired of all black guns, I Cerakoted in a color called Copper Brown and put a threaded barrel on it for a suppressor.

hittman

Staff member
My first Glock was a 1st generation G30. Not a bad gun at all. No rail …. Nothing.
A few years later my son got into law enforcement and was issued a G22. So I got one too. Very nice.

When I was having problems with another brand semi-auto I got a G43. Decided I wanted to qualify for my CCW license this time with a semi-auto instead of a Security Six. Put over 1000 rounds through that G43 in a month. Wow. Impressive. They just go bang EVERY time without fail. Best qualification score I’ve ever had.

Then a couple more were added and last year a Ruger PC Carbine that takes G17 or G19 mags. So ….. the fun has begun. LOL.

I've owned and shot numerous Glock's. Not my cup of tea. Not because there's anything wrong with them, as there's obviously not. All the center fire Glock's I've shot, operated flawlessly and all have shot as well as any other striker fired pistol. My issue, and it's my issue, is that 2x4 grip. I just cannot make it work for me.

Now, there is an exception... The Glock 48. I know, 10-rounds is minimal capacity for todays shootouts, but the slim grip fits me incredibly well. It carries nice, operates flawlessly, and is a pleasure to shoot.

To the OP... I'm glad you found a pistol that works for you. There is a reason so many folks shoot Glock's as their preferred pistol.:cool:

hittman

Staff member
WAYNO I have the same problem with Smith K Frame “Magna” grips. Square isn’t comfortable and adding a T Grip didn’t help. The Smith AND Ruger bigger “target” grips are just too big for my liking.

Now, I did find a “happy medium” with the Ruger smooth bigger grips. I’ll post my pic if I can find it.

That very personal grip feel can be a pesky thing. LOL.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
I've owned and shot numerous Glock's. Not my cup of tea. Not because there's anything wrong with them, as there's obviously not. All the center fire Glock's I've shot, operated flawlessly and all have shot as well as any other striker fired pistol. My issue, and it's my issue, is that 2x4 grip. I just cannot make it work for me.

Now, there is an exception... The Glock 48. I know, 10-rounds is minimal capacity for todays shootouts, but the slim grip fits me incredibly well. It carries nice, operates flawlessly, and is a pleasure to shoot.

To the OP... I'm glad you found a pistol that works for you. There is a reason so many folks shoot Glock's as their preferred pistol.:cool:

Thou art not a bad man. Go ye and repent.
I'm not good at repenting, and I'm certainly not going to take all my other guns for a boat ride on the Tenn-Tom. ;):LOL:

Jeepnik

Hawkeye
I have just two (well three if you count my wife's).

A 30 I bought as a protest when L.A. City banned the sale of small handguns. I had wanted to buy another Smith snubbie. But it would fit into the box and if it did it was too small for sale. So I went to the city next door, to a shop I sometimes use, and ask for the smallest handgun they had that would cause L. A. to have a stroke.

The other is a 42. California outlawed those. But we had, while it lasted, a single shot exemption. So I bought a 42 that was converted to single shot. Now to show you the stupdity of the law, it was perfectly legal to convert them back to semiauto after purchase.

That first 42 was commandeered by my wife so I had to buy another.

Now my wife and I don't do matching shirts. But sometimes we do matching pistols.:cool:

Wayno, when Glocks first came out they quickly got the nickname BLOCK because of the shape of the grip. I was one that said the same thing when I first handled one and I just couldn't get used to the grip feel. That's why I never worried about getting one. My first center fire semi-auto was a S&W 5906, which I still have. The grip just fits me like a glove, I pick it up and bring it up and the sights are in perfect position.

Now, my Gen 3 and Gen 4 Glocks have a grip frame that I am comfortable with and I shoot them pretty good, BUT, not quite as good as I can shoot the 5906.

the_leper_colony

Single-Sixer
I've owned and shot numerous Glock's. Not my cup of tea...

Ditto! Maybe I'm unusual (I do own some unusual firearms ;>), but I've developed an appreciation for the rotary-barrel Berettas. But if I ever see a Glock 46 at a price I can afford, maybe I'll try Glocks again...

:)

Last edited:

dweis

Single-Sixer
Be careful if you see the the Ruger Dragon flying overhead. I hear some Glock cross overs are disappearing. Good luck with you new pistol. Nice looking target.