Forget corn prices,, green beans are stupid

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender

Ruger Guru
The post about the high prices folks are paying for corn made me chuckle a bit. But on the other hand,, locally, I've been seeing stupid high prices for a bushel of green beans these last few years. Greasy's & half-runners have started about $80 a bushel. They slowly drop to where they got down to about $40 a bushel,, but in my opinion, that's still too high.
I got friends with fields, so I don't pay that. But we discuss the pricing.
Heck, yesterday,, I got about 5 lbs of greasy's given to me. I'd seen a road side stand getting $5 a lb for them about a month ago.
And since I do some canning,, I won't pay stupid high prices,, AND work to put them up when I can buy store bought much cheaper.

Also, a LOT of people are just getting into canning stuff. I had a customer yesterday,, working on some apples. Newbies for sure. I showed these 2 ladies a few simple tricks to help them out.
They then asked me; "Where are all the quart jars? We can't find any, and we are waiting on an online shipment? " I told them; "The local moonshiners buy them up." They thought I was kidding. I repeated it,, and they realized I was not kidding.

Some produce, and canning supplies have gone stupidly high in prices lately.

BearBio

Buckeye
Don't eat a lot of green beans. Grew our own this year=got 3 gallon bags full and working on #4=plenty for just us two old farts! Got a surprise Monday: my Chinese long beans have started producing. Dynamite on cukes, tomatoes and peppers this year!

Cracker-American

Blackhawk
The last year my father farmed was 1959. He primarily grew green beans, Black Ballentines. A good price, on the market, was $10.00 per bushel. I just plugged $10.00 into the inflation calculator for 1959/2020 and got $89.00. Sounds like $80.00 per bushel was fair.

powder smoke

Hawkeye
I grow my garden each year Potatoes were awesome got about 100 lbs of each Kennebec and red Pontiacts.
Bean Waxed and green coming out our ears. Corn bumper crop! Haven't mentioned pumpking and squash.
Yes we were blessed with an abundance of produce! Just ate a big red tomato yum! ps

Selena

Hunter
A long way from heaven and far too close to Chicag
I know I always have at least one person in town make a comment about my 3-4 acre garden. Oddly enough many like to come out and "help" when it's time to pick. The truth is if not for Dad's old corn planter with the ridiculously wide rows (32") and the cultivator to weed with I wouldn't put out nearly as much. I have a source for reasonably priced cans and enjoy canning so the garden feeds us nearly year round.

nekvermont

Blackhawk
I think I would ask $200 a bushel for string beans if I had to pick them, that's a lot of picking and a 2 day backache. :)

Latest posts