Ford class USS JFK launching test sleds into river

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dannyd

Hunter
I hope for the sake of kids that have to ride it, that it doesn't suck as much as the first one. :)

DCAA9ABD-3A21-4EC1-A0EE-C62EC6D204CE.jpeg

dannyd

Hunter
At least this one will stay a Nuke, the 67 was supposed to be a nuke, but after what happened to JFK, the Navy wanted to get a carrier on the line in his name. So, they took a nuke and made it steam carrier, so we had a lot of odd parts.

The 67 spent her last years on active duty tied up to pier at Mayport, Florida.

Unfortunately JFK could not qualify for the Navy, because he could not pass a Officer's combat physical, so Big Joe purchased him one.

I always wonder if he was incapacitated the night the 109 went down, Big Joe chased Admiral Nimitz for years trying to get JFK's Navy Marine Corp Medal upgraded to a Silver Star or Navy Cross, but Nimitz would have none of that.

I was on the USS Independence CV-62 in the 70s. After every overhaul they would shoot the dummy loads off the cats, fun to watch. We had a dependents cruise in 1972 where we took family members for a day cruise off of Va. Beach. During the cruise the got to see launches and landing of various aircraft. I thought the high point of the day was when they brought out two 1965 Ford Galaxys that had the engines, gas tanks removed and the windows cranked down rigged with a bridle so they could be launched of the cats. They timed it so as the bow came up they shot them off. The first one, at a slightly lower power went over 1/2 mile. The second with a more powerful setting went over one mile. My mother caught it all on 8mm movie, which I still have.

dannyd

Hunter
The biggest problem I see is who going to man it.

I talked to a female sailor last night at the indoor range. She was overweight, out of shape and didn't know a lot about her job.

It's very hard to drag a fire hose up 6 or 7 decks on a carrier or down for that matter. God help them because their going to need it.

usmc69

Bearcat
I was on USS Saratoga in 1983-83 doing work ups for our Med Cruise. The had a "Family Day" where the crews families came aboard for a day cruise to see what it was like when the ship was at sea, Put on a lot of demonstrations for the families. One was launching a car off the cat. The got a car from the base impound lot and hoisted it aboard. Hooked it up to the bridle and shot it. Flew pretty good for a while then skipped the waves a couple of time before it sunk. Everyone was impressed!

el caminero

Blackhawk
At least this one will stay a Nuke, the 67 was supposed to be a nuke, but after what happened to JFK, the Navy wanted to get a carrier on the line in his name. So, they took a nuke and made it steam carrier, so we had a lot of odd parts.

The 67 spent her last years on active duty tied up to pier at Mayport, Florida.

Unfortunately JFK could not qualify for the Navy, because he could not pass a Officer's combat physical, so Big Joe purchased him one.

I always wonder if he was incapacitated the night the 109 went down, Big Joe chased Admiral Nimitz for years trying to get JFK's Navy Marine Corp Medal upgraded to a Silver Star or Navy Cross, but Nimitz would have none of that.
I understood the akagi (?) was running dark, and the 109 was making too much noise to hear her, yet always wondered about the bioluminescence in the wake on a moondark night.

dannyd

Hunter
I understood the akagi (?) was running dark, and the 109 was making too much noise to hear her, yet always wondered about the bioluminescence in the wake on a moondark night.
We will never know what happened, but JFK had "Addison's disease" at the time. He did not know it until the 1950's when he got properly diagnosed, that disease would definitely caused the person to be incapacitated and unable to do their job.

el caminero

Blackhawk
We will never know what happened, but JFK had "Addison's disease" at the time. He did not know it until the 1950's when he got properly diagnosed, that disease would definitely caused the person to be incapacitated and unable to do their job.
His chronic bad back would distract anybody

Latest posts