For WW II Air Force buffs..........

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
When my nephew died a couple of years ago, I found some photos his dad (my brother) had made while in England with the 8th AF. I posted this photo my brother took:

Some one on the Ruger Forum sent me this color illustration of such a P-51:

I did a little research and found that this was piloted (usually) by Lt. Col. John L. McGinn. All of his aircraft bore the squadron code "CL*P" and that there was one P-38J and five P-51s that bore this name, "DA QUAKE". The P-51 44-13954 was the second P-51, each one being damaged or lost when flown by another pilot.

Of interest is that McGinn seved in the 13th AF in the Solomon campaign and credited with downing three Japanese planes prior to serving with the 8th AF. He served with both the 18th Fighter Group and the 347th FG.

Later I was researching some data on the F-82 Twin Mustang and its use in the early days of the Korean Conflict (War). The F-82s were the first fighters sent to Korea in 1950, and one photo showed an F-82 in Korea in the all-black finish of all weather fighters. The F-82 bears the buzz number "FQ-371" and the tail number of "6371". And prominent on the nose is "DA QUAKE."

Col. McGinn is also mentioned in the story of the Korean Military Advisory Group (KMAG). His death was listed as March 29, 2000.

And another of my brother's photos:

Bob Wright

RKB

Single-Sixer
I visited the NMUSAF at Wright-Patt last weekend and saw two F-82 twin Mustangs on display, one was in the black finish.
For any aircraft aficionado who has not yet been there....you will not regret it!

32magfan

Blackhawk
I have always been fascinated with WWII aviation. It must be all the war movies I watched with my dad and Robert Conrad playing Pappy Boyington on Baa Baa Black Sheep on TV.

My grandfather was a crew chief on B-25's in North Africa and he was trained, ready to go to the Pacific in a B-29 when the war ended. My uncle flew a Mustang but missed the end of WWII. He stayed in and was shot down in Oct. 1950 over the Yellow Sea in Korea. First listed as MIA, later to KIA. His name came up somewhere in the great mountain of KGB paperwork that came out when the Soviet Union fell. There's no telling where that man met his end. Probably in a mine in Siberia. :(

One of my greatest regrets comes from missing a chance to fly in a two-seater Mustang that came to Bluegrass field in Lexington in 1994. I took the $5 tour to squeeze through a B-17, but the big ride was $125. Still kicking myself...

Love the pictures, Bob. Post more of that "cool old stuff" anytime. :wink:

32Magfan