Help Support Ruger Forum:

DGW1949

Hunter
revhigh said:
The Wall said:
revhigh said:
As are stainless 1911's ...

REV
I would have just went out and got a Springfield Range Officer. 8)

Me too .... no doubt about it ... but then it wouldn't be a Ruger .... which seems to matter to most here .... to me ... almost any 1911 is good enough for defense work ... no matter the brand .... when it comes to target/range work ... that's another story. :D

Bottom line ... 1911's are 1911's .... people who say this brand is junk or that brand is junk when it comes to 1911's are fools .... you may prefer a certain brand over another one, but if someone put 10 1911's in your hand from 10 different brands (and you couldn't READ what it said on the slide) .... you couldn't tell the difference .... hell ... you really couldn't tell the difference even if you shot them not knowing which was which.

REV

Yes you can.
Cast guns make a sort of "clunk-clunk" sound when you work the slide fast. Forged-steel guns sound more like "clank-clank". When dry-fired, the hammer falls sound different too.
Me thinks that that is because forged is denser than cast, but I could be wrong about that part.

DGW

BrokenArrow

Bearcat
I like it!

I like my SR9 better black, and I will get an SR1911 when I can get one in black too.

skipper49

Single-Sixer
revhigh said:
The Wall said:
revhigh said:
As are stainless 1911's ...

REV
I would have just went out and got a Springfield Range Officer. 8)

Me too .... no doubt about it ... but then it wouldn't be a Ruger .... which seems to matter to most here .... to me ... almost any 1911 is good enough for defense work ... no matter the brand .... when it comes to target/range work ... that's another story. :D

Bottom line ... 1911's are 1911's .... people who say this brand is junk or that brand is junk when it comes to 1911's are fools .... you may prefer a certain brand over another one, but if someone put 10 1911's in your hand from 10 different brands (and you couldn't READ what it said on the slide) .... you couldn't tell the difference .... hell ... you really couldn't tell the difference even if you shot them not knowing which was which.

REV

I really like the looks of that finish, and I am In love with my SR1911 enough to spend that kind of money on it. I'm an old guy, and the "black" finish appeals to my traditional side.
BTW, I almost ALWAYS agree with Rev, but most respecfully disagree with some of the above. In my crowd, most any 1911 is good enough for range and target work, but I want a really good one when I REALLY need one to protect my hide. 1911's are a lot like AR's in that respect. Most AR's will do just fine for range work, but when you start running them hard, the good ones show themselves pretty quickly. Sure, we've all had the "cheap" AR, and 1911 that has performed perfectly when run hard, but that's not the rule.
Regards,
Skip

revhigh

Hawkeye
skipper49 said:
I really like the looks of that finish, and I am In love with my SR1911 enough to spend that kind of money on it. I'm an old guy, and the "black" finish appeals to my traditional side.
BTW, I almost ALWAYS agree with Rev, but most respecfully disagree with some of the above. In my crowd, most any 1911 is good enough for range and target work, but I want a really good one when I REALLY need one to protect my hide. 1911's are a lot like AR's in that respect. Most AR's will do just fine for range work, but when you start running them hard, the good ones show themselves pretty quickly. Sure, we've all had the "cheap" AR, and 1911 that has performed perfectly when run hard, but that's not the rule.
Regards,
Skip

Hey Skip !!

To be honest ... I've never owned a 1911 with any issues, so all mine would be suitable for carry as far as I'm concerned. All mine have thousands of rounds through them. But then again ... all mine are Colts and they're bone stock, except for one Springfield that I very lightly modded. That's probably why I've never had any issues. In my experience ... stock 1911's generally work .... when you start hacking around with them with all kinds of junk 'drop-in' parts is when the problems start ... or when you pick up the dremel tool. :D

REV

skipper49

Single-Sixer
revhigh said:
skipper49 said:
Regards,
Skip

Hey Skip !!

To be honest ... I've never owned a 1911 with any issues, so all mine would be suitable for carry as far as I'm concerned. All mine have thousands of rounds through them. But then again ... all mine are Colts and they're bone stock, except for one Springfield that I very lightly modded. That's probably why I've never had any issues. In my experience ... stock 1911's generally work .... when you start hacking around with them with all kinds of junk 'drop-in' parts is when the problems start ... or when you pick up the dremel tool. :D

REV

Exactly right, Rev. You followed the two strict rules:
1. Buy quality
2.Don't mess with it!

If I'm looking to buy a used one, the FIRST question I ask is, "has it been messed with?" So often the kiss of death for a 1911. And don't even get me started on the Dremel tool! :cry:
Skip

revhigh

Hawkeye
Verndog said:
skipper49 said:
Verndog.......That was SO not nice! :lol:

It's OK...payback for telling me to lick my poisonous frog. :wink:

BTW Rev...that thing was bitter!!! :shock:

Are you trippin yet VD ???? :D

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
skipper49 said:
If I'm looking to buy a used one, the FIRST question I ask is, "has it been messed with?" So often the kiss of death for a 1911.

If I see a 1911 with any supposed 'drop-in' parts on it ... I immediately calculate how much it would cost to return it to factory stock, and my offer is priced accordingly. If the seller starts bragging about the value of all the junk he's 'dropped in' I just say no thanks and walk away. If a seller boasts or speaks of a 'trigger job' on a 1911 ... I ask if I can see the receipt. If he says he did it himself ... I RUN AWAY ...

REV

ChuckS1

Bearcat
It's a shame Ruger wouldn't come out with a blued finish like my 1968-vintage Colt Government Model. But then, Ruger would have to raise the price significantly, which defeats their marketing plan and demographic. Still, it would be nice.