For the divers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

eveled

Hunter
Thanks for posting this. It is interesting to see it.

It didn’t seem to be moving right. I wonder if it is sick or injured.

Can you imagine that breaded and deep fried?

Thanks for posting this. It is interesting to see it.

It didn’t seem to be moving right. I wonder if it is sick or injured.

Can you imagine that breaded and deep fried?
While living and working in Singapore I discovered that quite a few of the local dishes had Squid, Calamari, Cuttlefish in them.
I found that the best way to prepare yourself for eating this critter is to practice eating a mouth full of RUBBER BANDS first.
The arms are not to bad but I will pass on the rubbery body part.
What they call Squid is a very small critter and fried on the hoof. Calamari, Cuttlefish are larger chopped up and put in with other mystery stuff. Anyway it is eatable with enough sticky rice:)

While living and working in Singapore I discovered that quite a few of the local dishes had Squid, Calamari, Cuttlefish in them.
I found that the best way to prepare yourself for eating this critter is to practice eating a mouth full of RUBBER BANDS first.
What they call Squid is a very small critter and fried on the hoof. Calamari, Cuttlefish are larger chopped up and put in with other mystery stuff. Anyway it is eatable with enough sticky rice:)
I am glad you suggested gnawing on rubber bands. That is exactly how I felt the first, and only time, eating squid. Was not impressed. Alligator or rattlesnake are OK but the squid was a turnoff.

RC44Mag

Bearcat
Born and raised in NY and we have some of the best Italian eats here. I’m not Italian but friends with a lot and have been eating Calamari( Italian word for squid) my whole life. It needs to be fresh squid and and when done right isn’t like rubbery at all, we’ve all had calamari that wasn’t cooked by someone who knows what they’re doing.
Lightly battered, fresh oil, fresh squid and most importantly not to be overcooked. Dip in some nice marinara and mangia.

had gator once, it was tough as a Goodyear tire and tasted like the spawn of a chicken and a mackerel. Maybe they didn’t know how to make it properly.

XP100

Blackhawk
Had calamari 3 or 4 times here in FL. Twice it was great other times it was like chewing on a piece of a rubber tube. I have also had Gator bites. they were very good. not tough, stringy not bad tasting. When we have people down from NY I order Gator bites for them to try if they will. Everyone seems to like them.

Alligator just like anything can be screwed up and fixed wrong.
I have had fried Gator many times which is great and have cooked dishes with Gator in them. All are great. The best tasting Gator meat comes from the tail next the legs. All the rest is bait. GOOD Gator meat should taste the same as Pork Loin. In fact you can use Pork Loin if you are running short of Gator and NOBODY can tell the difference. And that is a fact Jack:)
Now pass me that there bowl of rubber bands before I eat any of that bait.

Hankus

Bearcat
I did many tours in Korea on active duty; dried squid was a drinking snack in the ville. I’ve probably eaten squid prepared a dozen different ways over the years.

How to ruin shrimp by cooking with rubber bands:)
Notice some of the shrimp still have the head and shells ON. Makes them REALLY hard to eat. That is how it was done in Singapore:(

"Be careful not to overcook the seafood — especially the squid."
Yea they need to be nice and rubbery.
Squid-Shrimp-Fideua-With-Allioli-FT-RECIPE0921-218bc34ff0ca45bdaead193c05b05548.jpg

Last edited:

Ka6otm

Blackhawk
I’ve only had squid(calamari) once.
I don’t know if it was mis-prepared or what, but it was like eating deep fried sliced inner tubes.
I've had it 4 times and each time it was as you describe and each time the person who talked me into getting it said they couldn't understand it because it was always good all the other times they'd gone there.

.....yeah, sure.