? For the die hard double action people

Help Support Ruger Forum:

For you die hard Ruger double action guys - If you had the chance to pick up a never fired LNIB Ruger NM .357 Maximum (BNM-7), 7 1/2" barrel, s/n 600-0929X (dates it to 1984), would you?? Why or why not.??

I have the opportunity, just mulling it over right now.

hittman

Staff member
Since I'm not a single action guy and definitely not a NEW Model guy ….. this would have to be bought cheap enough to really do well for me on Gun Broker.

The farther down my list of "wants" a gun is, the less I'm willing to pay regardless of what some may say its worth.

I'd be more interested in a shooter grade, have fun with it a couple of summers and offer it for sale or trade in the future.

contender

Ruger Guru
I'd grab it in a heartbeat if the price was reasonable.

And I already own a pair of the Maxi's.
Why?
Rarer every day as the are popular guns used for conversions.
While it's thought that only about 11,000 were built before Bill stopped production AND destroyed about 5000 of them. Lately,, it appears that might not be the case. I seem to recall that MORE than that were destroyed.
They are superb shooters.
They are an excellent choice for hunters or target shooters alike.
Lastly,, I can't think of a "why not" unless the price is too high.

RSIno1

Hunter
Buy now, mull later. In a week if you decide to buy it may be gone. If you own it for a week and don't like it move it on to a new owner and take the profit.
I haven't really looked at these due to the frame cutting issue. Could you just down load it to 38/357 levels and avoid the problem?

contender

Ruger Guru
"I haven't really looked at these due to the frame cutting issue. Could you just down load it to 38/357 levels and avoid the problem?"

I'm assuming you are discussing the "top strap flame cutting" that caused Bill to discontinue the gun?

Apparently,, it came from folks trying to hot-rod the gun by using light bullets & a fast burning powder. HOWEVER,, time & many years of actual use has shown that the SLIGHT top strap flame cutting either barely shows up,, or even if it does appear, it only goes a little way & stops. AND,, it has been found in other makers & models of guns.
Using a heavier bullet, slower burning powders have proven the caliber & gun to be excellent. It was designed around that concept. Heavy bullets to knock down steel rams in silhouette competition.
David Bradshaw was in on the early testing & development of that gun & caliber. A few years ago,, he ALSO helped design a cast bullet just for the Maxi's. I have (2) molds & can attest to the accuracy of that combo.

Roninpa that is like one of us single action guys asking if we should buy that 5 screw pre model 29 4" S&W uncle Ernie took out of the sock drawer and asked if we wanted to buy it. All I can say😄

Good points all, When I saw it I pretty much had decided that it would be mine but I wanted to see what some others said and I value all opinions.

Well, I am now the next caretaker of this Ruger .357 Maximum. For those of you who might be going to the OGCA show in July to see the Ruger row of some very fine firearms, I will have it with me (not in a display but to show the SA guys I do know a good deal when it bites me in the butt.

Latest posts