For my Scout Rifle: Nikon Monarch 3 or Burris Fullfield II ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dlh38or45

Single-Sixer
I am looking for a scope under $500 for my scout rifle. $500 is the max I can spend. One LGS has a Burris Fullfield II 4.5 x 14 42mm for $230. Another has a Nikon Monarch 3 2.5x10 42mm for $299. I have an older Burris 3x9 on my Mark II Model 77 30-06 and it has been a good scope. Would you please share your opinion as to the two scopes and whether the Nikon is $70 better than the Burris?

Thanks,

Don

m657

Buckeye
I had the Burris Fullfield II; IMHO excellent for the RSI 308 it was mounted on, wish I had another for the Scout.

Not familiar with the others you list.

dlh38or45,

From you list of scopes you are considering it would seem that you are going to go with a conventional mounting of your optics as apposed to forward mounting in a scout configuration.

I have got Ruger Scouts configured in both manners. Issues that I discovered and worked through.

1. If you go with a larger magnification scope with larger diameter lenses, you will have to go with much higher rings in order to clear the scout rail. I did not want my optic that high so going with a 3X9 was off the table for me.

2. I selected a Nikon 2X7X32. This scope will fit the rifle with the rings that Ruger provided and it is nice and low. Clearance with the rail is very close but within reason. 1-2 MM.

This set up offers all of the magnification that I need and I can get an inch at 100 yards.

Bill

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
Don,
All I currently have for Burris are pistol scopes. I think they are as good as you can get for a handgun scope and although I have Leupolds too, I prefer Burris for the better eye relief. I also believe there is a partnership with Burris and Stiener now. The last pair of Stiener binoculars I got have Burris' address on the packaging. That should make for a pretty good combo if Burris is using Stiener glass or whatever the pairing up of the two companies is doing. The binoculars are superb!

I do have Nikons and my latest is a Monarch 5 on a varmint rig. Excellent glass but the crosshairs are a bit thick for my liking but thats just me. You can't really go wrong with a Nikon.

The one brand you might want to check out is Vortex. My last couple of scopes are from them and I will be buying more. They are outsanding scopes and probably the best out there for their price range.

With any of the new scopes now I really think for the most part they are all so close in quality that it boils down to what features you prefer on a scope. Is it a fast focus eyepeice? Or side focus? First focal plane recticles? Turret styles? Id base a new scope purchase on what features I prefer as much as the eye relief and clarity.

Jeff

dlh38or45

Single-Sixer
The reason I mentioned those two specific scopes is because I found them on sale...the Burris was $125 cheaper than Midway and Cabellas,and the Nikon was $100 less. I have had the scout rifle for a while, but I have not scoped it yet because I was caught in a dilemma: keep the ghost ring back sight and only use a scout scope ( which I seriously considered, though I had never used one before) or lose the back sight to mount a scope in the normal position. I discovered the way around that dilemma this week. I learned about the XS Sight system rail which is a picatinny rail that replaces the existing rail, and extends back to where the back sight sits, so you can mount optics anywhere. It has a built in back ghost ring so you still have a redundant sighting system if something happens to your scope. I ordered one and it came yesterday, so I finally went scope shopping. I don't have lots of money to spend, so I am trying to find the best balance between value and performance I can. I am not locked into those two, but they are what I found on sale.

Thanks for the responses so far.

Don

Hello,
I went down the XS Sight system rail path and was not satisfied.

Issues:
The screws provided seemed to be poor quality and can be stripped easily.
Had to use lock tight to secure the screws.
With the XS rail installed, now I needed very low rings to get the scope where I wanted. (2X7X32)
You have to remove the current rail to mount the XS Rail.

I am not sure what size rings you will need to mount a 3X9X40 on the rail.
You could remove the current Ruger rail and Ruger will sell you (filler screws) to protect the threads. (Check web site)
With the Ruger rail removed, you can mount a 3X9X40 but will still need higher rings.

I removed my rear sight assembly and put it in the butt stock with the correct allen wrench for installation in the event it is needed.

My XS rail is sitting on a shelf in my reloading room.

Bill

planetcat

Single-Sixer
I am partial to Nikon. Fyi, cabelas is having a blowout sale on a couple of monarch 5's that meet your requirements. I picked one up in 2-10x42 and its a great scope.

ndcowboy

Blackhawk
I love the Monarch scopes and really like their BDC system. The Monarchs are excellent in low light conditions and the BDC with a little practice will let you shoot at extended distances with a little practice.

Latest posts