For Mopar fans: '66 Plymouth Belvedere "sleeper" at SEMA.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ProfessorWes

Hunter
Well, it would be a sleeper if they took the 'chute off the back end. On the other hand, with 526 inches of turbo'd and fuel-injected Keith Black hemi under the hood, that car probably needs all the stopping power it can get . . . :p

http://www.speedhunters.com/2015/11/rad-rides-build-a-sleeper/

Want.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Oh yes, I remember an old wood paneled Plymouth station wagon I had that had absolutely no feedback at the skinny steering wheel and so much body roll and fish tail tendencies going around corners it was like the car had a mind of it's own and it was driving itself. :D

gtxmonte

Buckeye
Bull Barrel said:
Blasphemy...THM tranny...ya gotta have a TorqueFlite.
Hardly.........turbo 400 maybe, but the 4L80E is not known for standing up to big power for long. I am a Mopar GUY, but all mine with any power to speak of, either have a glide or a T-400 behind them

Cholo

Staff member
Professor, I've always loved sleeper cars. That one is so cool!

gtxmonte, if you know old Mopars, maybe you can shake my memory. It was '69 and my friend had a '68 Hemi Charger. A guy we casually knew showed up in the park with the best sleeper car I've ever seen. Because he wasn't a friend, and I was never in the car, I only have the memory of the car in the park. He literally bought this car from an old lady and I remember he paid $1k for it with maybe 3k on the clock. I recall it being a '67 4 door Hemi Coronet with a 3 speed auto on the column. It was light blue with matching interior. The only give away was the Hemi badge on the front fenders. It wasn't an R/T; nothing. It had skinny tires with small hub caps. My web search says that Chrysler didn't put Hemis in the plain jane cars in '67, but did 136 or so in '66.

Any ideas? We all looked it over, and there was no question in was a factory Hemi.

turd

Blackhawk
Jimbo357mag said:
Oh yes, I remember an old wood paneled Plymouth station wagon I had that had absolutely no feedback at the skinny steering wheel and so much body roll and fish tail tendencies going around corners it was like the car had a mind of it's own and it was driving itself. :D

Yes, but if you paid attention to the Plymouth, it always acted the same, and you learned how it wanted to be driven. Incredible cars. I used to get 18 mpg at 80 mph with my 1971 Demon. High performance, indeed. And at a low price. Remember the Road Runner? A basic Plymouth Satellite with a factory modified 383 and a lot of period perfect marketing. Handling? Who cared? It went fast in a straight line. :mrgreen:

Poco Oso

Buckeye
That's a beauty Heavy Barrel. I had a '62 Sport Fury convertible back in the mid '60's. Fun car. No wedge though. Stock 318, push button 727 on the dash.

gtxmonte

Buckeye
Cholo said:
Professor, I've always loved sleeper cars. That one is so cool!

gtxmonte, if you know old Mopars, maybe you can shake my memory. It was '69 and my friend had a '68 Hemi Charger. A guy we casually knew showed up in the park with the best sleeper car I've ever seen. Because he wasn't a friend, and I was never in the car, I only have the memory of the car in the park. He literally bought this car from an old lady and I remember he paid $1k for it with maybe 3k on the clock. I recall it being a '67 4 door Hemi Coronet with a 3 speed auto on the column. It was light blue with matching interior. The only give away was the Hemi badge on the front fenders. It wasn't an R/T; nothing. It had skinny tires with small hub caps. My web search says that Chrysler didn't put Hemis in the plain jane cars in '67, but did 136 or so in '66.

Any ideas? We all looked it over, and there was no question in was a factory Hemi.
4 door Hemi cars, even wagons, are out there, just extremely rare. I know there were 4 door Hemi Coronets in 66. Can't recall ever seeing a 67, but I wouldn't doubt it.

My own Mopar collection consists of a 54 pickup, 79 Lil Red Express, 63 Max Wedge 330 sedan, 69 GTX and a 73 Challenger. Recently sold a 69 Road Runner convertible

The 62 wagon is sweet heavy barrel. Many don't like 62 anything's, but I am looking for a 62 Dodge sedan right now

stevemb

Hunter
That looks familiar ! My first car was a '66 Coronet 440. Had a 383 4barrel, tow package. With that ugly green color, 4 doors and the tow hitch in back, kinda a sleeper.

graygun

Hunter
My first car was a 71 Demon 340,4-spd,3.55 sure grip. I sold it in 78 for $200...ugh.

I saw a 413 cross ram Chrysler in 77;a portly Lincoln/Mercury mechanic owned it. Best Mopar I rode in was a 66 Coronet 500,426 automatic in the summer of 68.

http://www.allpar.com

noahmercy

Single-Sixer
Love sleepers, and love MOPARS. Back in the 80s, I had a couple friends who had some killer sleepers. The ones that stand out most:

An AMC Pacer with a nasty 401, complete with factory Levi's interior and dog dish hubcaps. The factory rear wheels had been widened, and mud flaps hid the beefy rubber. Ran mid-12s through quiet mufflers.

An old Mercedes with "Diesel" emblems that actually had a race Hemi in it...the solid lifters and race clearances made it sound quite a bit like a diesel. Again, factory steel wheels widened and mini-tubs allowed enough rubber in back to allow the front tires to show daylight on launch. He used to roll up to Corvettes and Mustangs and ask if they had any Grey Poupon before leaving them in the weeds.

A Plymouth Scamp with a well-built 360 that you couldn't tell wasn't a stock 318, right down to the casting numbers. Built right and ran low low 13s.

A Pontiac Fiero with a 400 cube small block...believe it or not, they drop right in to the automatic cars. That thing was a freaking go-kart. Probably would have run in the low 11s if he could have hooked up, but without sticking the tires out of the body, he was really limited on how much meat he could get on there and it only ever went traction-limited mid-12s.

My car was NOT subtle...an ugly brown Volare with a leftover funny car engine. 500 cubes of 8-71 Dyers-blown, Hillborn-injected, Vertex-magnetoed, Keith Black aluminum goodness. Wheelie bars (VERY necessary), no hood, and the biggest Micky Thompson Sportsman tires on the market meant I didn't get to surprise many other cars. And, yes, I did drive it on the street and if I babied it I got 4 miles per gallon. On 110 low lead av-gas.

:mrgreen:

GLGAR

Bearcat
In 1969 I bought a new Charger 500 with a 426 Hemi, that was the limited production model just prior to the Daytona. The owners manual that came with it was for a Coronet. It was my everyday driver for three years and not having any idea what it would eventually be worth I sold it for a couple of thousand dollars.

noahmercy

Single-Sixer
GLGAR said:
In 1969 I bought a new Charger 500 with a 426 Hemi, that was the limited production model just prior to the Daytona. The owners manual that came with it was for a Coronet. It was my everyday driver for three years and not having any idea what it would eventually be worth I sold it for a couple of thousand dollars.

Yeahhhhh...I'm just going to need your address so I can come over and slap you... :mrgreen:

Heavy Barrel

Single-Sixer
noahmercy said:
GLGAR said:

Yeahhhhh...I'm just going to need your address so I can come over and slap you... :mrgreen:

And find out who you sold it to and go from there and there and thheeerrrreeeee !!!

And after 33 yrs,this one didn't get away !!

Cholo

Staff member
GLGAR, around the early 80's or so I had a friend of a friend and every year we'd all go to the NHRA Nationals in Indy. He bought a '70 Hemi Cuda convertible new. He shows up at the races with some new 4 banger Mopar pos with a computer gadget type screen. His famous last words to me were "I sold my Cuda to get this. I hope I didn't make a mistake." Ya think? :shock:

Latest posts