follower in Ruger 8 round .45 mags

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SteveSatch

Single-Sixer
I have 10 factory Ruger 8 round .45 mags that have a two piece metal follower. I just bought two more factory that have a black plastic one piece follower. Anyone know why/when the switch? I can post pics later if no one knows what I'm talking about.
Thanks,
Steve

jtf650

Bearcat
I think the plastic follower was used on the earlier, 7 round version of the mags. How many rounds do the plastic follower mags take?

SteveSatch

Single-Sixer
Thanks, you're right they hold 7 and not 8. The guy who sold them (not from this forum) gave me bad info. Rats.

GaryA

Single-Sixer
If it pains you to look at them, send them to me. :) I understand there are some who feel the 7 rounders are more reliable. I couldn't say not having had any trouble with either 7 or 8 rounders.

pyth0n

Buckeye
jtf650":38a3gy28 said:
I think all you would need to change is the follower and the mag spring to upgrade to 8 round capacity.

That's right and I got the springs & followers from Midway. Springs were about $3.09 and followers $2.99 + s&h. And they're ruger parts.

Mandan

Bearcat
I also bought a Mag with a plastic follower. Disassembled the mag and cut about 1/4" off the follower. It now holds 8 just like the others do!
And the follower goes up & down the mag better since there is less friction.