Florida permits

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Current Florida CCW permit requires proof of training before permit is issued. Reciprocity, as I understand, it is usually granted by a state based upon the fact that Florida's permit requirements mirror their own. It will be interesting to see if Florida's CCW permit will require training for new applicants in the future.
When I got mine there was a bit of a proficiency test. At least put a percentage of shots in a 10 inch (I think) target at 15 feet, (I think). Might have kinda bogus as they had a .22 revolver to help everyone qualify, if needed regardless of the gun you had.

pyth0n

Buckeye
With Florida passing permitless carry will they still issue an actual permit? Is My Florida permit still valid in states that accepted them and can I get it renewed when time so I'll have one to show if needed?
Short answer, yes to all. I keep mine current for the reciprocity with other states & no gun purchase waiting period.
Handgunlaw.us & USAcarry.com are good quick references for each state's requirements for initial & renewal of resident & non-resident permits. Both sites provide links each state.

Last edited:

gnappi

Single-Sixer
If you are a non-resident don't you still need to send in a new Fingerprint card?
Dunno I'm a resident so not for me. As it is AFAIK Fla doesn't require you to continually re-submit fingerprints for any licensing purposes.

Dunno I'm a resident so not for me. As it is AFAIK Fla doesn't require you to continually re-submit fingerprints for any licensing purposes.

I am on my third Florida permit, good until 2026, they wanted a Fingerprint card with the original application and both renewals. I know that residents could do electronic prints but non-residents had to get a physical card signed by the agency taking the prints. Perhaps they no longer require these for re-newals?

Last edited:
Years ago before Florida and SC recognized each other I applied for a Florida permit and actually answered the prior conviction question truthfully. This was a good thing, it caused me to go to a near by county and spend an afternoon where a nice clerk went down into the basement of the court house and found the records of when I was arrested and convicted back in 1978.... She then also printed out the current rating of this past conviction which is now a misdemeanor ..... this allows me to legally own a gun and have several state permits.... but the FBI still considers me a danger to society.... for growing a pot plant while in college..... I was denied the tax stamp for a suppressor back in 2011... this has been sent to the legal appeals department at the BATFE... the only problem is even though they have to legally have this department they don't have to fund it and never have any money in their budget for this and so my paper work sits in a room with probably thousands of others... and no one works there. Oh, and the cost of my Florida permit was tax deductible because I on occasion worked for a fellow sweep down there and had a letter from him that said I was required to have a Florida permit.

bykerhd

Single-Sixer
I lived in Vermont for the first 50 years or so that I've owned handguns.
No permits required for buying, carrying open or concealed.
The crazy Lefties running the state government have now instituted a waiting period with, I am sure, worse to come.

The problem with no permits meant that when carrying out of state you had nothing, except your Vt drivers license to show any authority that might be questioning your right-to-carry.
Good luck with that in the rest of New England, except maybe NH. NY or NJ forget it.

As a Florida resident I have and will maintain my Florida carry permit as long as I am able.

Speaking of the proficiency test; when I took mine here in S.C. I think back in 2005 the range officer said he could not grade it. He passed me though. I wish I could take it now, it would really be a joke. If I remember right it was 50 rounds into a life size silhouette target to center mass from various distances of 5 ft to 25ft....

gnappi

Single-Sixer
So Y'all know, I submitted my application on 2/1 online and got my license today! That's how govt SHOULD work with our fees!