Flatgate Single Six Serial 343 found - Value idea?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
I am posting this for a buddy that found this and he is not sure if he is interested in buying or not but he found the Ruger Single Six serial 343 (NO PREFIX) and it is a flatgate with the plastic grips. The gun is unconverted and from the description may have never been fired with no turn line. He also said the frame looked case hardened but the other details on the front sight and other details are less clear.

The gun is for sale for $950 and I told him I would post the info here and send him a link to the thread. I think he is also a member here in case anybody has questions they want to ask as he should find this thread very soon!

Thanks for any advise and I don't think he had photos but I know it is for sale close to where he is located. If anybody collects number 343, you are welcome to speak up for the opportunity.

Ken

flatgate

Hawkeye
If "original" and not messed with the price ain't bad. The gun's "ship date" needs to be obtained since a "late shipped" example may exhibit Type II or even Type III attributes.

Have him give it a quick look: 1. Front sight should be without any serrations. 2. The cylinder frame rollmark should NOT have a dash between the words Single and Six.

Another identifying characteristic would be the profile of the breech with the early guns exhibiting a flat breech and the "non Type I's" having a stepped breech.
BreechComparisons.jpg

If your friend has more questions have him contact me.

flatgate

Karys

Bearcat
Hey guys. I'm the guy that found this gun at a shop near me.

I contacted Quarterbore because I really don't know anything about flatgate Single Sixes. I did realize this one could be quite valuable though. I hope I'm not leading you guys on a wild goose chase.

I'm looking for an inexpensive shooter that I can use for teaching NRA basic pistol courses. This obviously doesn't fall into that category.

GRAMPS, Quarterbore shared your PM with me and I'm sending you one.

welcome to the Forum, greetings as well as a merry Christmas...
yes, that is a find gun for one that "collects' looking for the 'proverbial' low numbers, and being a type 1 ,very collectible...as you say ,no not a shooter as is,but it would still do the job, depending on the condition, which is 'foremost' after the 'low' number........you could always use it for 'trade bait" and I'd bet you could trade for an "array" of other models, such as a semit auto .22, and another single action etc....never know just who may be looking for that serial number besides.......

best to you in the New year and good job with the training 'others'......

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
Rob, aka Karys, is one of the best handgun shooters I know and for many years he had the much larger handgun collection then I had although my Ruger habits have allowed me to surpass him in handguns at long last! Rob called me as he knew I have been spending way too much time on here and thought I might be interested but I know I have an obsesive compulsive personality and if I start buying OM Single Sixes I am doomed so I refuse to start!

We talked about the gun on the phone and we both agreed up front this gun is not a gun that should be really used as a shooter for teaching new shooters basic pistol :shock:

I hope that Rob is able to help someone find a proper home for this piece of history and perhaps the gun may find it's way into a collection that gets shown and appreciated as sometimes that is more important that actually owning a rare or unusual gun in teh first place!

Merry Christmas to everyone!

americal

Hunter
WELL---- this excites me & I am not involved :) but a 3 digit flatgate 8) 8) :D like to know how this turns out :) seems like outstanding find.

radicalrod

Hunter
WE NEED PICS of this gun....the "case hardened" statement seems to imply lots of use or miss use......could be modified...lots of "chrome" SS's running around....good thing I don't own 342 or 344 :D :D :D though I do own 383 and 384....gotta nother 3xx gun but can't remember what it is....WELL I couldn't take it and had to check my notes 336....no match thank goodness....I have paid more for a 3 digit gun than the asking price so I guess it really depends IF the condition is correct.....good luck, se ya RR.

XLIV

Single-Sixer
Nice..hope it turns out to be a desireable edition.

My 3 digit is only 75%..so it gets used as a shooter.. but it was only $75 w/box at a local yard sale.

Here it sits with "Mouse" the ruger sniffing dog (not quite as effective as the infamous "Moe")
7234IMGP0098.JPG

RugerBoi

Single-Sixer
:shock: Good Grief Guys...I just posted a wtb on the classifieds before looking here to see what the latest finds are...I NEED A TYPE I...I just Traded mine off to get that "Karma" Scott guy to let loose of some engraving...now I have a blank at the start of my single six collection that used to start with a 4 digit with some lightning in it...How bout selling me that old single six or trading for say a couple bent cartriges and a rusty belt buckle???RB

radicalrod

Hunter
Seems "MOUSE" does just fine.....MOE is getting lazy in his old age....

Hey Ruger Boi, I have an "extra" type one.....drop me a line if you are interested.....see ya RR.

HI just got back from my rainy day trip to PA to look at this gun and guess what its going to come back to CT where it started out :D my son and I took the 200 mile ride down there thinking it might be a waste of time but it was better than sitting in front of the tube all day and was I ever glad we did. It is in MHO a true safe queen I could not be any happier with it should get here after the holiday and will post pictures

GRAMPS

Karys

Bearcat
Congrats GRAMPS!

I'm glad it worked out for you. When I saw your post and you said you were driving down from CT I was a little concerned. I didn't want you to drive all that way for nothing.

I'm looking forward to your pics just so I can tap into the knowledge on this site. I'm still not sure exactly what I found but it looks like there are plenty of experts here that can shed some light.

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
GRAMPS 51":135cx0xe said:
I would like to thank KARYS and QUARTERBORE for the lead on this gun I cannot thank you guys enough if I ever catch up with you diner is on me

THANKS AGAIN
GRAMPS

You should be warned... I am a pretty big guy at 6'2" and 265lb but Rob is even bigger then me and eats a whole lot more then I can eat!

Congrats on getting this gun and I am anxious to see the photos and glad the revolver found a good home!