Flatgate problem

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Time to look deeper.

Your cyl latch is not coming up high enough to lock in the notches. Most likely a factor of a bent hammer plunger which doesn't retract far enough back in its hole and is keeping the cyl latch from rising to its full height.

If the plunger is bent it will be obvious. If it's not bent install a new cyl latch, these seldom need fitting.

Some former owner may have tried to "smooth" the action but didn't know how to do it properly.

hittman

Staff member
Ok to further show my lack of mechanical abilities …. I have another flatgate that works properly ….. I can tell you when I remove the cylinder of each all the parts on the recoil shield look exactly the same.

I'll drum up the courage to tear into it maybe when the weather is too cold to be outside. Thank goodness for internet videos.

Johnnu2

Hunter
Hittman... just so you can see what Hondo44 is talking about:"Most likely a factor of a bent hammer plunger which doesn't retract far enough back in its hole and is keeping the cyl latch from rising to its full height."
Pic 1 shows the hammer plunger which could be stuck in it's channel within the hammer. It actuates the cylinder latch (the latch operates a little like a see-saw; the plunger moves it down and the spring see pic 4 moves it back to lock)

Pic 2 shows the opposite side of the hammer showing the hole/pin that holds the plunger in place (upper left on the hammer)

He further says if the plunger is not bent "If it's not bent install a new cyl latch, these seldom need fitting." He suggests installing a new cylinder latch. Pic 3 shows the cylinder latch and Pic 4 shows the spring that operates in the opposite direction of the plunger to actuate the latch into the locked position (IIRC):

These pics are from Blackhawks, but the Single Six uses the same type parts as I recall.

I know it's daunting, but there will always be professionals to fix the things we mess up...but there are members who can help you 'screw by screw'... YOUTUBE helps too

J.

hittman

Staff member
Wow! Thank you very much for the visual tutorial. That's likely just what I needed.

Once I tear into it I'll let you know.

Appreciate the info and help from everyone.

Suggestion from experience . . .

Before you remove the screw upon which the latch pivots, pay particular attention to how the spring fits when it's in place. It's not immediately evident that the hidden lower leg of the spring engages a tiny hole down in there. Check its position and action before removing that screw.

:mrgreen:

JOHNNY WACKO

Blackhawk
Time to take it apart and find worn part i would say. I made a nice jig to hold mine upside down by the frame with a small cheap 2" vice on a 1" 1x8 holds it perfectly to get to everything .

Latest posts