Flatgate, Carl Laco called home to the lord...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Beartracks

Bearcat
I was aware of Carl's illness and it saddens me to read this, as I haven't checked in here for a very long time.
Carl was a special guy and ran this place like it should be done.
Always open to new ideas, always willing to share his knowledge, and experiences, and also interested in listening to what others had to say without judging or condemning.
This forum sunk like a battelship when he took ill and stopped participating, which is exactly why I left.
Rest in peace Flatgate, you won't be forgotton.
Sincerely,
Macbullet

This forum sunk like a battelship when he took ill and stopped participating, which is exactly why I left.
Rest in peace Flatgate, you won't be forgotton.
Sincerely,
Macbullet

Well I don't know about that. I for one still have some VERY DEAR friends on this Forum that I enjoy hearing about what they are doing in their life.
Yes My VERY GOOD Friend that called me his Brother is gone and I will never forget him. We were a lot closer than most on this Forum will ever know.

contender

Ruger Guru
I have to agree with Jim.
While Flatgate was a great person to head up this place,, it was the members who made it the best. Yes,, from time to time,, he'd have to step in & handle something,, but mostly,, the members were & still are "self policing" to make this a great Forum.
I, like Jim have made some wonderful friends here.
And yes,, while we are having some server issues,,, that is a whole separate topic,, and has nothing to do with Carl.
We still have members who share stuff,, & take the time to answer questions & such.
And yes,, we've also lost other members that helped make this place unique. Fast Ed & his daily cartoon about Slippery Rock. Wil Terry & his direct info. Hank in Louisiana who always made us appreciate things. Piper,, who was great for a smile.
All gone,, but not forgotten.

But we still have a lot of good folks around,, and Carl would WANT us to continue. Just as any family does when a treasured member passes. Things may change a little,, but if we continue their legacy,, then they are not forgotten.

It has been said elsewhere, and I cannot say it better . . . so long as even one of us remembers him, he is not "gone".

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=270389

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

mohavesam

Hawkeye
jimbo1096 said:
I was wondering about a "Memorial Wall" with those names we have lost that were members. Seems that would be to honor those gone on.

I would wager this forum has lost thousands of members in the almost twenty years since the turn on date. That's gonna be some "wall". :shock:

As far as flatgate - we bought n sold many guns and Ruger items between us over the years. As a contractor to SR, I often slid some double-secret inside info to him and I'm sure I'm not the only one in such a position to do so.

JOHNNY WACKO

Blackhawk
JUST SEEN THIS AND WAS SHOCKED . WAS HE NOT THE OWNER OF THIS SITE . BUT HEAVEN HAS A NEW RUGER FAN FOR SURE . RIP FLATGATE

Dregg

Single-Sixer
I've been a member since 2007 and I remember him from the boards. With saying that, I've been a member on other forums since 1999. Over the years I've meet hundreds of "internet people" and "real people" during that time. I saw many pass and it's simple a part of life. One day, I'll pass as well and some of you may even say "yeah, I remember talking to that guy". I recognize his loss here is significant and I wish to offer my condolences.
May Carl "Flatgate" forever rest in peace.

737tdi

Hunter
Ah dang, I knew I had missed a lot in the past couple of years. So sad that we lost Flatgate. Lots of good conversations with him, history of Ruger, "flatgates", and lots of different Ruger six guns. God bless Flatgate and Rest in Peace my friend.

Greebe

Single-Sixer
Just came back to the forum after many years of being way and now I see this. That makes me sad to hear that he has passed on. We had a lot of good conversations of the years and a few good phone conversations as well. Dang! I am sorry to hear about this and to hear about it so long after his passing.

GhosT

Blackhawk
Like Greebe,
Been away awhile ,so just found out Flatgate passed.

My flatgate history......

I was here when this site started.
The cool thing, it was about Rugers/yes...but more than that.
FRIENDSHIPS made, Skills shared and questions answered .
For years this site rocked.....then new management showed up.

People got banned, for dissagreeing.
I got banned for almost 2 years for asking an admin one question.

I asked why they banned another member that used no foul language, just dissagreed with
what a moderator posted......Bang I was banned.

THIS IS WHERE CARL COMES IN.............

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I see Flatgate took over the site............A man who I respected both his knowedge his views,
Hell, his personallity came across on his posts on countless sites.
So , i message him, detailing how I got banned....and my anger because how much I think
RUGERFORUM was one of the best gun sites ever.

Whithin a day, I was able to rejoin, no longer banned.
I did still lose my old thousands of posts/post count started fresh....no biggie....

Flatgate answered on many of threads I started, or posts I posted, on many sites.
Damn if he didn't change my opinon occasionaly.

And as I just found out tonight that he passed 2 years ago....
Countless posts and PM's from him running through my head.

I will not end this this post saying how sad I am .....gone 2 years....

Instead....I wiii say this.

I envy you that knew him...face to face...friends.

contender

Ruger Guru
GhosT,,,,, The best way a person can be honored is by how they are remembered. Obviously,, you (along with so many others) truly honor Carl with the good memories,, and knew he was a guy to "ride the river with."
I was fortunate to have hung out with him a few times,, and I too cherish these memories & think of how good a person he was.
Many of us still miss him, and remember how he helped so many.
As such,, he's not truly "gone."

aminahyaquin

Bearcat
So very very sad to hear this. I always think of him in the mountains anyway. Now he is in the company of the great and good who have strengthened the good here on earth-- and surely RF is one of those! He had such kindness with newcomers and helped to make this place family. I hope it still is!

contender

Ruger Guru
I was awakened last night,, by a dream. In it,, Flatgate (Carl) was talking to me. When I woke up, it took a bit to go back to sleep. And I realize that it's been about 3 years approximately since he passed. hard to believe,,,,,,,,!

Still miss him.

Latest posts