Flatgate, Carl Laco called home to the lord...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

walnut777

Bearcat
Sorry to hear this. I remember Flatgate years ago when I joined the forum. I'd say 10 years ago. Maybe longer. I have a job now that allows a little more leisure time and when I came back to the forum I couldnt remember my original name. I swear is was rugerp89dc or p89dc something. Of course I wouldnt have the same email anyways to recover it.

Flatgate was always gave very knowledgeable advice and for some reason I have always remember that name Flategate. Prayers go up to his family.

J Miller

Blackhawk
I'm sad to read this. TRF was the very first internet forum I joined way back in 2000 or thereabouts and it seems that Flatgate was there then.
I need to check in more often, I miss so much.

R.I.P. Carl, thanks for all the help you gave me.

Joe

eric conrad

Buckeye
Forgive me for just seeing this.. Carl made this forum what it is. The Best. I'm so happy to have been a part of the #100 guns deal. Wish we could have done more.
RIP Buddy. Eric

SAJohn

Hunter
Eric, I suspect that the #100 guns forum buy for Flatgate was unique to any gun forum. I no longer remember the exact amount of money we all contributed but it was significant, into the many tens of thousands of dollars, and was proof of how much we all thought of Carl.

John

deac45

Single-Sixer
Just now seeing this and I am saddened. Wish I had took the time to thank him for all he did for us here but I wouldn't have known where to begin.

Deac45

kentdep

Single-Sixer
Wow! What sad news. It makes me sadder in knowing I am so late to the table. I have not been on here in some time (my wife and I built a house and my honey do list is very long). I hope to get back here way more often than I have been in 2019.

I hope his family is doing ok.

Kentdep

Hellraiser

Single-Sixer
Well... guess I should do... the right thing.

Not much on weddings, funerals, or births... never have been. Consider life is life... and death is death.

But I did admire and respect the man who allowed me to come on-board. And I am not ashamed to admit that he was good to me... when nobody else would allow me.

You see... he gave me a second chance. He was a good man... I will miss him, so.

RIP Carl.

sixshot

Buckeye
I really miss Carl, knew him for several years & been over to his place once when he reamed some cylinder throats on a couple of my 45's for me. Getting to hold some of those rare Rugers was a once in a life time experience, wow!
After no longer working in the skiing industry Carl called me once & ask me if he could use me as a reference for a job at Freedom Arms & I gladly said yes. I'm sure he didn't need it but it was nice of him to ask. I only live 45 minutes from Freedom Arms & Carl lived 15 minutes from there & he was a natural. I stopped by to visit once & Carl was polishing the flats of an octagon barrel on a big sanding wheel, he always did amazing work & loved what he did, which was a little bit of everything, he was in heaven, even before he went to heaven. Rest in peace buddy!

Dick

woodpuppy

Single-Sixer
I’ve been away from the forum for quite some time. 2 sets of twins will do that to you. I checked in this morning to read a little, and Ale(8) made a wistful reference to Flatgate’s oft heard “buy the books” statement. So I’m late to learn the news too, and I’m sorry to hear it. I’ve learned more from reading here than I could put into words. With the passing of Wind and now Carl, we are diminished. Was so good to learn from them both.

BluedMoon

Bearcat
I saw this several months ago... But was lost in the ReCaptcha embroglio and did not get corrected until today.

I never met Flatgate, but I did "know" him from being on this forum so long. Belated RIP Flatgate.

SAJohn

Hunter
Could anyone fill us in on Carl's family and how they are doing? I suspect that his WWII aviator hero Father is now no longer with us.

I still miss Carl on our forum.

I also wonder what became of his great 100 series Ruger collection which we old timers had a hand in.

Also, I would like to thank the OP, Will Terry, for a great title to this post.

John

SAJohn said:
Could anyone fill us in on Carl's family and how they are doing? I suspect that his WWII aviator hero Father is now no longer with us.

I also wonder what became of his great 100 series Ruger collection which we old timers had a hand in.

John

Unfortunately, Wil Terry has also passed on,

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=274822&hilit=wil+terry#p2747510

:(

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
SAJohn said:

John

GUNS WENT TO THE WINDS. OBSERVED THAT CARL'S PARTS WENT TO A MEMBER HERE FROM AN UN NAMED FFL, LISTED ON EBAY. ASSUMES GUNS WENT TO HIM(FFL) AS WELL, AND WERE SOLD. THE BACKGROUND ON CARL'S PASSING IS RATHER LONG AND WINDING. I HAVE CHOSEN TO NOT POST DETAILS. HAVE NOT SPOKE TO HIS WIDOW FOR OVER A YEAR...........ALL OF THIS IS QUITE SAD, TO SAY THE LEAST. SPLITZ

It should be RIP but not forgotten. I think of him every time I log on to this board. From what I have heard and pieced together it is quite a sad story, and that the 100 where so handled without consideration to what they were or what effort was undertaken by some of the members here, is even more sad.
See ya later Carl.

Latest posts