Flat Tops......

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Here are two of my "Flat Tops", one a Colt, one Ruger, both with stag grips. Colt is .45, Ruger .44 Special. The Ruger now has carbon steel hammer and trigger:

I am pleased with both.

Bob Wright

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
awp101 said:
Very nice!

I've been wondering. Is the correct terminology "flat top" or "flattop"? For some reason I keep thinking I've seen it both ways...

Since Flattop was a character in Dick Tracy, I prefer the term "Flat Top."

Bob Wright

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Bob,

That's a great pair!

Are you saying Ruger has gone back to carbon steel hammer and triggers or is yours from before they started supplying stainless hammers and triggers?

Is that a lately produced 44 Ruger Flat Top?

Jim

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Hondo44 said:
Bob,

That's a great pair!

Are you saying Ruger has gone back to carbon steel hammer and triggers or is yours from before they started supplying stainless hammers and triggers?

Is that a lately produced 44 Ruger Flat Top?

Jim

Mine is fairly recent production. It came with stainless steel hammer and trigger. I swapped them out as I just preferred carbon steel, with its polished and blued top and back surfaces.

There is just absolutely nothing wrong with the SS parts ~ just preferred the look of carbon steel.

Bob Wright

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Ok, gotcha. We dance to the same drummer, I've done that as well. Gone so far as having a bunch of stainless parts blued by those that specialize in it. Like the ejector housing screw which is SS but blackened from the factory, I have those blued also.

BearBio

Buckeye
Since the terms "flat top" or "flattop" are simply nicknames and not official designations, it's pretty much up to the speaker/user.

The Colt shown is actually the Colt New Frontier Model. Colt collectors usually reserve the term "flat top" for the less than 1000 Flat Top Target SAA and less than 1000 Flat Top Target Bisleys that were made in the 1890s.

I've also seen "flat top" or flattop" used often for OM Rugers and the more recently made Lipsey "flattops". I have an OM 44 Blackhawk and a Lipsey 44 spl. There is no comparison in quality; the OM has much greater standards of workmanship..

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
REP1954 said:
Bob is that Colt a factory 4 3/4" barrel? Sweet nice handling gun.

The Colt is indeed factory stock, except the grips, of course. Can't seem to do anything to a Colt New Frontier!

Bob Wright