Flat top single 6 grips

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hello All-

I am new to the forum and I'm hoping to find some answers.

I currently have a 1956 flat top single six pistol .22 caliber. The original grips cracked and I have issues trying to locate a replacement pair. The grips were ivory/bone (not sure), i'd like the same look but not dead set. I picked up a pair of wood grips at a local show but they are for new model single six.

I have found the different frames and discovered that mine is XR3 platform.

Anyone know where I can find replacement grips for my old flat top? Thanks

gunman42782

Hunter
Welcome to the forum! I would advise putting a want to buy add in the classifieds, and I am sure somebody here could help you out easy enough.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
On my 1954 Flatgate, I found a pair of grips from a "New" Vaquero. Black and fit fine I had to file on these to make work. On top of inside, your frame has ramp on frame. I file relief on them. Not 1954, but they work and look great

Are you saying 'flat top' or 'flat-gate'? I didn' t think the OM Single Six was ever produced as a flat top. For grips you might try Eagle grips. They probably have some that will work.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
"Flattop6shooter28",

Welcome to the forum. There are no flattop Single Sixes. They have a rear windage-adjustable-only rear sight sticking out of the top strap. There are only flattop Blackhawk models.

So if you ask for flat top single six grips you'll be sure to get confusion from some or worse from others. I only tell you this because I don't like to see newbies get verbally 'beat up' or get the wrong grips.

NOTE: If it has a flatgate instead of a full, contoured gate, it's called a flatgate Single Six model.

You need to ask for factory Old Model, pre 1962 Single Six and Flattop Blackhawk XR3 grips, which were made in smooth walnut or black butaprene-rubber checkered grips.

There are factory XR3 "SIZE" black checkered grips made for the New Vaqueros (no medallions) and New Model flattop Blackhawks (with medallions) that are the same size but must be slightly modified as daveg.inkc described to fit your gun. They also need the locating dowel hole at the bottom of the grips moved slightly to fit the old model XR3 grip frames.

Hope that helps,

Welcome to the Forum.....the term "flatop" is basically used to describe the centerfire revolvers from Ruger ,mid 1950s, but in reality the Single Six has a "flat" top, sculpted on the sides with a drift adjustable sight, so yes the top is flat.....in either case the grips frames are all the same back then 357,22 or 44...they are XR-3 with a straight down the back frame just like the Colt Single action army ,same size, just a difference in the locating pin location, as well as a cut out ( ramp) on the top ,front inside of the grip panel....we have used Colt grips on old Rugers for many , many years and as noted above you can also use the newer "anniversary" grips from 2005 and later, an XR-3 grip frame BUT the holes are slightly "off" in location, and they have no cut out ( ramp) on the inside ,top front, again , just cut the ramp, elongate the hole and the anniversary grips will work as will Colt Single action army grip panels......
as for the OP question, it is a matter of just what grips you may want, the original hard rubber ( plastic) wood? stags? or even ivory..........the "factory" issue stags , and ivory will be very costly, even the black, checkered ,hard rubber ( plastic) ones are pretty pricy.......send me an email and I can tell you what we have here that may help you out............

here are some old model, XR-3 grips, and some are from Colt SAA , fit BOTH............

IhUa4EDl.jpg

Colonel Daddy

Buckeye
Hondo44 said:
"Flattop6shooter28",

Welcome to the forum. There are no flattop Single Sixes. They have a rear windage-adjustable-only rear sight sticking out of the top strap. There are only flattop Blackhawk models.

NOTE: If it has a flatgate instead of a full, contoured gate, it's called a flatgate Single Six model.

You need to ask for factory Old Model, pre 1962 Single Six and Flattop Blackhawk XR3 grips, which were made in smooth walnut or black butaprene-rubber checkered grips.

There are factory XR3 "SIZE" black checkered grips made for the New Vaqueros (no medallions) and New Model flattop Blackhawks (with medallions) that are the same size but must be slightly modified as daveg.inkc described to fit your gun. They also need the locating dowel hole at the bottom of the grips moved slightly to fit the old model XR3 grip frames.

Hope that helps,
Hondo, More and more dealers/pawn shops are calling the Single Six a Flattop! I won't argue with them, just become more wary of anything they tell me! Yes, XR3 grips or replacements should solve the problem. Sorry I have no extras.