Flat screws?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gunman42782

Hunter
Bought this first production year Flattop yesterday. It has been converted, and a XR-3RED grip frame put on it. My question is are the 3 screw heads supposed to be flat? Any other old model I ever owned has oval type screw heads (or at least somewhat rounded). I know the pic sucks, but it is still cloudy here and I will take a better one outside if the sun ever shines.

100_2538.jpg

That is a sign of them being 'reblued", as that is what happens when they are polished, incorrectly.................the early guns had screws that will often still have the 'cut off lines' from them being made( small rings on the head...)

gunman42782

Hunter
Well, do you think they just re-blued the screws? Cause the frame is as plumb colored as any I ever seen.

of course the screws could have been replaced at any given time, would have to "see" the entire gun to make a proper 'refinish' evaluation.......the screws and their holes are just ONE of many signs to look for in any refinish job, and by themselves are NOT to be the deciding factor on any "refinish"......

and as said above, the "plum" can return after any refinish, nature of the beast................ :wink:

flatgate

Hawkeye
Here's a Factory Reblued OM Super. It's got a bit of color to it, eh?

357690092.jpg

My first impression is that the Flattop in question is a "rework".......

flatgate