FLASH HOLE DEBURRING ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

CLAYPOOL

Single-Sixer
Pro or Con ? Do you deburr them or not. I do all brass before I shoot them the first time. Its just a satisfaction kind of thing I guess. One less variable. Now that I'm retired and have my own range you would think I would shoot every day..... :lol: What say every one ?

contender

Ruger Guru
If you are talking about the internal de-burring of a primer flash hole, I do some of mine.
I do my serious rifle caliber brass. While most of my shooting is done with handguns,,, I do use my T/C Contender a lot. My favorite caliber is the 7x30 Waters.
I work over the brass to make it as perfect as I can, and I spend a lot of time assembling the ammo to make it as uniform as possible.
So, yes,,, I do de-burr some of my brass.
None of my straightwalled pistol calibers have had this treatment.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
On my real serious rifle loads I use Lapua brass , they come with the flash holes deburred from the factory. I don't bother with deburring brass for the everyday fun shooting brass. Over the years I have read/heard many opinions on the advantages of flash hole deburring and uniforming and none of them can offer any kind of proof one way or the other that it has any benefit at all.
It comes down to .... If it makes you feel good, do it!

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

I haven't done it myself, but a lot of folks I've known like to. As mentioned, it possibly helps to reduce variables. And it's only gotta be done once, so like the old bumper sticker once suggested, if it feels good, do it!

Rick C

6gun

Hunter
I deburr my 44 mag brass and rifle brass, seen no evidence it helps with accuracy but it does make you feel like it helps. :p

DGW1949

Hunter
Yes I do....but try as I might, I've never neen able to prove that it matters.
Still though, I persist with it. Hard headed I guess. :lol: .

DGW

Enigma

Hunter
Like many here, I deburr the flash hole in rifle brass. It's just another step in the initial brass prep, and only needs to be done once. Does it increase accuracy? I dunno; but it's quick and painless to do. FWIW, I highly recommend the Sinclair tool for this job.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I found a big ole burr on the inside of one case one time when I was sizing and depriming some once fired brass. I just tossed it in the recycling. That's one case in about 10 years. All the others I have looked at have been ok as far as I can tell. :D :D

sliclee

Single-Sixer
chuck,I think your right, however only on my long range cases do I smooth out every part of the case. Take a stocking from mom or wife, nylon or what ever they are, it will catch a bit, you will get nuts, Lee

Enigma

Hunter
Jimbo357mag said:
I found a big ole burr on the inside of one case one time when I was sizing and depriming some once fired brass. I just tossed it in the recycling. That's one case in about 10 years. All the others I have looked at have been ok as far as I can tell. :D :D

I'v encountered entire lots of brass where the burrs were so pronounced that I was unable to turn my old Lyman flash hole deburring tool by hand! Then recently, I've found lots of brass with no noticeable burrs at all. It's kind of like Forest Gump says, 'life is like a box of chocolates...'

Paul B

Hunter
I've been deburring the flash hole, uniforming the primer pockets trimming and chamfering all my rifle brass for the last few years. I think it may make a difference.

Gun writer John Barsness did a test using a very accurate rifle doing all the above with half a batch of brass of the same lot number and loading and shooting the other half without all that prep work. IIRC he said the prepped brass groups were only neglibly smaller, something like .0002" or some such.

I just sprang the money for 100 rounds of Nosler .280 Rem. brass. Beautiful stuff supposedly made by Norma to Nosler's specs. The only thing I have not checked is the weight variance but probably will do later today. Looking inside the brass you can see where it has been deburred.
Check out the primer pockets and they're perfectly flat inside from wall to wall. I've uniformed many a primer pocket and they've all been concave. Made no difference if it was Federal, Remington or Winchester, no perfectly flat pockets. When you start the uniforming, you'll notice that that the concaveness is uneven. I checked one box of 50, inspecting every piece of brass. Every flash hole was as close as I could tell dead center in the pocket. Sure as hell can't say that about the Big Three. Now I have no way of telling if a concave based primer pocket is detrimental to accuracy to not but I do believe that making them perfectly uniform has to make some kind of difference no matter how slight.
Paul B.

Latest posts