Flash Hider for new Mini14

Help Support Ruger Forum:

CZReverend

Bearcat
Does anyone know where I can purchase a flash hider for the new (2005 and later) Mini14 front site? Everywhere I look says "not for new front site". So, anybody want to help me out? Thanks!

AJMD429

Bearcat
No. I hate the new front sight. I'd be tempted to try and adapt a Choate replacement sight/flash hider (the one that looks like a M-1A one).

If that failed, I'd consider turning and tapping it to accept standard AR-15 flash suppressors, and go from there with a combined suppressor/sight.

AJMD429

Bearcat
It looks on that website (above) that the pins for the post-'04 guns are in a different place, but for the pre-'05 guns, driving out the roll pin, then just a solid smack (or ten) on the sight would drive it off the front of the barrel. Probably a quick heat with a propane torch would help on those pre-'05 ones. Unless Choate or someone makes sight REPLACEMENT/brakes for the newer Mini's, though, no point in removing the front sight.

LawMan

Bearcat
AJMD,

That is pretty much exactly how it went on except I never removed my front sight since the pins lined up perfectly. There is a nice gap that goes around the sight (butterfly sight) Very tight fit. You have to have the new mini-14 (serial starts with 580) sight is the butterfly style.

I just lined it up, used a mallot, or you can put some soft shirts over a hammer, and about 5 gentle taps on the muzzle brake and the pin lined up perfectly. I then used a small nail to knock out the old pin and then slowly tapped the new pin in. It looks good, nice tight fit, and then with the pin.... that thing is not going anywhere..

So if you have the new mini-14 with butterfly sights (mine is the tactical version from Ruger, like the strikeforce, but already came that way from Ruger) then order the "post 04" sights, and I'm pretty sure I got mine in 3 days. Just added to that "tactical look" plus added about 2 inches to the barrel (which fits alot better in my safe). Works like a flash suppresor and looks like one as well. I am happy with it and for $20 I believe, you can't go wrong, plus I believe that company has around a 30 day return policy or close to that if for some reason it didn't work.

Let me know if you get one, because at first I thought there was no way it was going on. But a few taps with a mallot, and the pin in there, you would almost have to weld it off now....

Hope that helps.

Take Care

Latest posts