Fixing Sixguns that Lead

Help Support Ruger Forum:

2 dogs

Buckeye
I got another real interesting job in the other day. My client complains his Toklat 454 Ruger with 340 grain bullets has sticky extraction (I forget how fast they were going but I'm pretty sure you couldn't get them going any faster, will amend this later) with maximum loads. His gas checked cast bullets were .453" diameter and he was not seeing any leading. He wanted to know if I would polish his chambers to see if that would ease his full cylinder extraction issues.

When the cylinder arrived, I was a bit surprised at how well the cylinder was already polished. I would call it a high 400 finish. That is pretty slick for a factory gun. About the only ones that are better are the FA's and the old Colt Python Royal Blue guns. However, when I measured the throats, I was surprised to find that they were all a bit over .455".

Hmmm, he is running a .453" bullet at maximum velocity through a .455" plus throat and not getting any leading from gas blow by? Well, there was also a bit of soot on the chamber walls. My theory is that a 340 grain 45 caliber bullet is pretty long for caliber. That means the ogive of the bullet might well be past the forcing cone and engaging the rifling while the base of the bullet is still in the throat. So, when the bullet starts to compress from the front the gas has to go somewhere so it is not only escaping the barrel cylinder gap but coming back around the case as well until the base of the bullet starts to upset and cuts the gas flow off and seals the throat and thereby preventing total loss of the bullet lube and leading of the bore.

Hey, I don't know everything. But I blocked off the throats and polished the chambers to a higher finish. I checked and sure enough this madman indeed had some 340 grain 45 caliber gas check bullets on hand. So, I sized them .455" and am sending them off to my client. I am tossing this out here in advance to see if my thinking is right and if I got this cat skinned right or not. We should know something back from my client in a week or two.

If anyone else is shooting locomotive derailing loads through their Toklat and experiencing hard extraction I would like to hear from you.

2 dogs

Buckeye
I was asked about some Bearcat caliber change work. I would direct you guys to Dave Clements who recently took up Bearcat conversions all the way up to 327. He made a number of new improvements that really lend a good deal of strength to the little Ruger. Check his website.

2 dogs

Buckeye
My Toklat client reports continued success extracting hot 454s out of his unit. If you are having extraction issues with yours PM me.

2 dogs

Buckeye
I was asked if I am still measuring/correcting cylinder throats. The answer is YES!

There is NO FLAT RATE. You only pay for work actually done. My last client sent three 45 Colt cylinders. I measured them and determined they simply needed to be uniformed. His cost was $45.00 for all 3 however sometimes a cylinder needs a lot more help. Let's discuss it. PM me. Don't put up with a revolver that leads!!

gcf

Bearcat
2 dogs said:
I was asked if I am still measuring/correcting cylinder throats. The answer is YES!

There is NO FLAT RATE. You only pay for work actually done. My last client sent three 45 Colt cylinders. I measured them and determined they simply needed to be uniformed. His cost was $45.00 for all 3 however sometimes a cylinder needs a lot more help. Let's discuss it. PM me. Don't put up with a revolver that leads!!

Hey Fermin -
Like to discuss some possible 45 Colt cylinder throat work. Tried to PM you, but it doesn't seem to be working correctly. Unless you have relocated, I'm local to you.

Maybe you could try to PM me? Thanks in advance!

2 dogs

Buckeye
GCF, PM answered.

Guys, I don't regularly get on the Web anymore so if you PM me and I don't answer in a day or so try my website:

fermincgarza.com