Fixed sight .38 GP 100 scarcity and value?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

k22fan

Blackhawk
I'm tempted by a LGS's 4" .38 special blued GP 100. Ruger took advantage of a GP 100's top strap height surrounding the usual adjustable sight to give this .38 the best sight picture I've ever seen on a fixed sight revolver. It also was very well polished under its bluing. It does not have a MIM trigger, it has original style GP grips that may be a litter smaller than most GP's [?], and pins keep its extractor from rotating. I have not seen this variation in person before. Were these surplused inexpensively in sizeable quantities or are they uncommon? This one conservatively is at least 95% condition. It has zero muzzle and high edge wear so cleaning out some leading may reveal a 98% condition revolver. Does $390 O.T.D. sound about right?

I'm procrastinating mostly because I couldn't decide whether to bring the .38 home or a .45 convertible BH. The BH is identical to current production so at worst I could always buy one later although probably not at as low a price. I may wind up with both if they sit on the shelf long enough but short term budget restraints force me to choose.

ChiefTJS

Blackhawk
Not particularly rare, there was a run of them fairly recently. $390 OTD is a great price and I'd have been giggling all the way home with it. I have the same gun in .357 and it is a big favorite. You nailed it on the sight picture, it's perfect.

rcramden

Bearcat
May not be rare but kinda hard to find. $390 is a very good price. Paid $450 for mine and felt like I got a good deal. It goes everywhere with me. I shoot 38 +P's out of it to make up for the loss of power, over 357mag anyway. The grips are sp size grips but are different because of the locator holes. Most grip makers are aware of this, just make sure they know what your ordering.
Here's my stainless 4". I've got a set of Zack Peterson stag grips on the way.

k22fan

Blackhawk
I bought the .38, my first GP100. Giggling is for young girls but I am smiling over $383.37 OTD.

A careful examination revealed a tiny bit of bluing wear, however no one would be unhappy if it was sold to them as a 95% gun. The lock work isn't as light as some GPs but I believe it's unaltered so I don't have to consider whether it received unwise home gunsmithing. I'm keeping my fingers crossed hopping its POI coincides with my crooked eyeballs and trigger jerk. I should know within a week.

Some days while cleaning I think if I was smarter I'd only own stainless revolvers because I can rub them with bronze wool till the cows come home without wearing away finish. On the other hand, stainless fixed sights reflect our indoor range's lights so bad that at some angles I can't get a usable sight picture. Fixed sighted revolvers work better for me if they are blued. Also I don't remember firing any of my nice stainless revolvers since last spring. They are great in their own way but lack the character of older blued revolvers.

As for the convertible midsize .45 BH, I'm going to leave it for a better man. ANIB unfired was tempting at $425 plus tax but I'll be happier with holster worn older bluing on a .45 that gobbles up "for Ruger only" reloads.

wolfee

Blackhawk
Nice snag, you'll enjoy it. Mine is blued, full lug but I agree with your site picture obs. Note that the short and long grips are interchangeable. I have noticed that I shoot to poi (more or less) with the shorter grip installed but my trigger jerk tends to make me shoot a bit low and right (I shoot lefthanded, single handed) with the large grip. If I shoot off a sand bag and squeeze real careful then both shoot where I point it.

I don't think you could find a better .38 for high round count plinking and target shooting than these GP's. They are huge overbuilt for 38 pressure and oughta last for just about forever.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Love those .38 GP's. I hope I cross paths with a KGPF-840 someday, or Ruger puts it back in production. Its essentially the same thing as my Service Six, however the word is that Ruger is running out of Six series parts so I would prefer to use a GP for range blasting.

ADP3

Single-Sixer
New, fixed sight, Blue .38 GP100's are running around $550 on gunbroker so $390 sounds pretty good. Mine are the GPF-831(Blue, 3", Fixed Sight, .38SP.), and they shoot like a champ. With +P equivalent loads of Unique under a 158 LSWC at 50 ft. I get silver dollar-sized groups all day long. You get a nice thump without the punishment some folks associate with magnums.

I found some of the old Pachmayr Compac grips on Ebay that fit my hand so the Hogue Rubber Grips are in the junk drawer. I think you'd be happy with one. .38 Special is a very affordable round to shoot and downright cheap if you cast your own bullets. The only negative to the GP's is that they will outlast us. I know my heirs will appreciate them as much as I do.

Best Regards,
ADP3

k22fan

Blackhawk
I've decided that my "new" .38 will wear a rosewood grip I bought at a gun show. I never did install it on one of my SRHs because for me their older style factory rubbers are ideal for recoil. It duplicates that shape in smooth wood. The seller claimed he bought them new and the Ruger package they were in was original. I like believing his story but there are a few children's fairy tales I like as well. If he wasn't fibbing they might be a collector's item of sorts. Either way blued revolvers look best wearing wood.

Latest posts