Five inch SBH???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

A

Anonymous

I bought a collection of old model Rugers and there is a SBH with a five inch barrel. I contacted Ruger and gave them the serial number. They told me that there was no invoice for this gun which was made in 1960. They said all SBH's were made with a 7 1/2 in barrel. It could be a custom job but it looks factory to me including the finish. Any thoughts? I am new and have not figured out how to post a photo. I am sure the site has so info somewhere.
Thanks[/img]

yooper1

Single-Sixer
Hello and welcome to the forum

here is a tutorial on posting photos

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=51390

all you need is a picture's url (web address...starts with http...) and then put
at the end of it and it should show the photo.

Try to keep the photos smaller so people will not have to scroll side to side.

We have been down this road a lot, The old Models (3-Screws ) as the factory stated they only made 7-1/2" barrels Supers Blackhawks except for three guns that were fitted with 10" barrels & the 6-1/2" Supers being about 600 to 800 made.
There have been some very nice gunsmithing cut down variations made over the years.

flatgate

Hawkeye
Yup, I'm with Steve Ruger on this one. Ruger did indeed make a few "special" guns for "special" folks, but, to the best of the collective knowledge, a Super with a 5 inch barrel is not Factory.

Now, during the New Model years the barrel selection has grown......

flatgate

MADDOG 521

Single-Sixer
I have a 5"SBH also. Ruger said it shipped as a 7 1/2". I sure like it the way it is. Mine was manufactured in 1972.

I have one Kinda :roll: well it is Ruger1441's gun that is a long story not for today! :wink: I have packed around for a few years in the pack box on my ATV with 44 bird shot in 3 chambers & light 44 loads in two chambers. I just picked up some 44 special ammo & shot that a little & I like that in the short barreled old 3 screw! Fun Gun!

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
8) No comment on ........."They said no invoice for this gun". Suggest it to "perhaps" be an employee gun, proto-type for WBR, "Special" for some purpose undefined(WBR), or the Gunsmith special already noted. Sadly, many of these items collectively abound and there is no way to prove them. To wit: The two briefcases of Blackhawks that Ray Morgan brought back from the Amber Estate, which I saw on his return leg/trip back to Grants Pass, at the NRA Annual Mtg in Reno, 1987. Maybe Mr. Morgan would comment....... 8)

Latest posts