Fit and finish of a new Blackhawk 45LC

Help Support Ruger Forum:

41-44-45-48

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the pictures, that is pretty much what I was envisioning. I'll take a crack at it once I get the screw to put it back together.

As for grips, I've got a spectacular piece of tiger striped American chestnut I'm currently shaping into a pair of Bisley grips. They should look great once finished not to mention the rarity of that species nowadays.

REP1954

Blackhawk
In my own personal opinion I would rather pay for a properly working gun than something I would consider not fit to use. Dixie Gun Works sells kit guns for much less than $799.99 if that is what I want.

G2

Hunter
REP1954 said:
In my own personal opinion I would rather pay for a properly working gun than something I would consider not fit to use. Dixie Gun Works sells kit guns for much less than $799.99 if that is what I want.

ROFLMAO... I wondered who would take the bait. PLEASE note I started my statement with "IMO" and finished with " :wink: "

I hear what your saying and I definitely think that A RUGER PRE-ASSEMBLED PARTS KIT is way better than anything from Dixie GW. As mentioned above, One gets what we pay for.
Yes we want something close to Freedom Arms quality, on the other foot were paying for way less.

I posted about my red goo over on the Single Action Forum in an effort to find out if others had run across the stuff,,, got a REPLY that stated his gun was perfect. . . .
Well I would say the was his Opinion.

Ruger's typically work just fine right out of the box and over time wear in and get somewhat better.
We all know that we can flip a gunsmith $$-$$$ and get a much improved trigger, ect., and there are those that flip $$$$ and get a Ruger that is amazing.

REP1954

Blackhawk
Yes we want something close to Freedom Arms quality, on the other foot were paying for way less.

Well I've looked over my past post and I just can't find where I said anything about Freedom Arms quality for Ruger price's. I just want a working gun that doesn't come with throw away grips. Please lets keep this honest and not try to say I said something I didn't.
Poorly fitted guns do not tune themselves they just create excessive wear and sloppiness and take years off their lives.

41-44-45-48

Single-Sixer
Again, show me where else I can buy (or build for that matter) a functioning 480 single action for $750 and maybe I'll regret buying the Ruger. I guess I could build one from scratch if I had $50,000 worth of machines and tooling in my basement but I'd never come out money ahead in that scenario.

Maybe my original post wasn't clear. I took the 480 out of the Ruger box and put 50 rounds through it without even so much as having to tighten a screw. It was pretty darn accurate too. What exactly am I supposed to be complaining about? A couple parts that would benefit from a small amount of additional fitting? It's not like they didn't work as delivered by Ruger......

RSIno1

Hunter
contender said:
Keeping the price down, and supply up causes a lot of bean counters to accept things many will not.
Will Ruger repair things that are out of specs? Absolutely. .
The complaint seems to be the lack of QC when it goes out the door. One guy could probably inspect 100 guns an hour of course his discerning eye may catch a lot of stuff that the final buyer would accept. If he made $30 and hour that's only a cost of 30 cents per gun + needed rework. If Ruger is cutting their margins that close they won't survive anyway.

I've had good luck with the several Ruger revolvers (Blackhawks and GP100s) I've bought over the years. One was a mid-70s Blackhawk that was NIB, and at the beginning of this year I bought a 4 /58" 45Colt/45ACP convertible. I'll work fine out of the box, and will get smoother with use. The fit of the new black plastic grips on this latest Blackhawk isn't so great, but I hated them anyway I got some Walnut Altamont grips for the time being.

lolbell

Single-Sixer
REP1954 said:

Well I've looked over my past post and I just can't find where I said anything about Freedom Arms quality for Ruger price's. I just want a working gun that doesn't come with throw away grips. Please lets keep this honest and not try to say I said something I didn't.
Poorly fitted guns do not tune themselves they just create excessive wear and sloppiness and take years off their lives.

I just can't figure how "throw away grips" can create excessive wear and sloppiness and take years off of the life of a revolver. Maybe if you throw them away and not put any replacements on.

REP1954

Blackhawk
I just can't figure how "throw away grips" can create excessive wear and sloppiness and take years off of the life of a revolver. if you throw them away and not put any replacements on.

lolbell it's clear that you just read the last post or you have a short memory. If you have a good memory and you read the whole thread you would know there's more than the grips. :p lb