Fit and finish of a new Blackhawk 45LC

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Old Dog Soldier

Bearcat
Not quite sure as to where I should post this question, so I'll try here.

A good friend of mine just bought a new Blackhawk 45 LC. This is his first Blackhawk. I was a bit surprised as to the finish of the aluminum grip frame and the lack of proper (IMO) fit of the black hard rubber grip panels.
The aluminum grip frame looks to be very "mat" in apperance with little or no depth at all. I know that aluminum will not take a deep anodized finish the way that polished and blued steel will, but this one is not as well finished as my older aluminum grip frame Blackhawks. The grip panels are (again IMO) just not acceptable. They are short of covering the grip frame in some areas almost as much as 1/16 of an inch. Is this how they are being shipped these days, or an exception to the norm? I told him to call Ruger and complain. But, I don't know if he will or not, it's not in his nature to do so. Any thoughts? And thank's for time and attention......

ODS

jbntx

Single-Sixer
The finish has rubbed off on the grip frame of a 45 Colt Blackhawk that I just bought.
Luckily it's under one of the grips so it doesn't show.

I bought a set of Ruger rosewood grips to replace the black plastic ones.
They fit tight and the black finish just rubbed away while I was fitting the new grips.

It seems the finish on the grip frame is very thin and fragile.

REP1954

Blackhawk
I just handled one of the new .480 Blackhawks. This gun had a price of $799.99 on it. The grips were about the worst I ever seen come out of Ruger and cocking the gun was ridiculous the hammer would cock about half way and then get stuck until you shook the gun and thumbed it harder. I think the Italians are having a better quality record on single actions than Ruger is. I told the guy at the lgs that it needed to go back to Ruger and be finished built but as I walked away it just went back in the display case. Come on Ruger a $800.00 gun that you can't shoot and a dealer who don't give a rats Butt.

Mus408

Hunter
I guess the "young" guys do the fit and assembly the first time around and then when it is shipped back to be brought up to Ruger standards..the old timers slick it up and make it work.
My Alaskan came back as a totally better gun!

Old Dog Soldier

Bearcat
Could it be that Ruger is powder coating the grip frames instead of anodizing? It does sort of look like powder coating. Looks like I am way behind on what's going on with the newer Blackhawks.

ODS

welder

Buckeye
I just put one on lay away after a gun counter inspection. It looked reasonably well finished with the grips fitting well. This is more than I can say for my Bisley convertible that I ordered on line only to have it arrive with two screws missing and grips fitted so poorly as to be shameful. Yes, Ruger made it right on their dime and the gun was returned a beauty along with a slip saying they repaired the barrel also??

mrbumps

Blackhawk
I have found most of the new grips don't fit the frames very well anymore, especially the stainless models. I think the frame dimensions may have changed slightly. I have a few after-market grips laying around (Esmeralda, etc) and they don't fit the new frames any better. If I really like the gun, I send the frame off and have custom grips fit. I think that's the only way to be completely satisfied.

I have one of the new 5 shot Bisleys, and other than the poor fit of the grips, the rest of the fit and finish is quite good, and the trigger is probably the best I've had out of the box on a New Model Blackhawk.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!

I have to say I think the biggest problem of poor grip fitting has come from the fact that the long time supplier of grips was Lett, & they are no longer in business.
Once a supplier was found,,, I think some of their molds or forms used to build grips are not quite right.

Yes, many folks can & will swap out grips even on perfect ones,,, as they like to personalize their guns.
Others,,, could care less.

Keeping the price down, and supply up causes a lot of bean counters to accept things many will not.

The grip frames,,, because of the type of material,, (aluminum alloy) it's harder to get a good finish that is durable as well for a low cost. Look at MANY of the older Rugers. Especially the pre-1973 OM's. The anodizing turns gray & gets a patina from normal use. Do you really want to spend money? Try & find somebody who can re-anodize an OM grip frame to look like new.

It all comes down to costs.
Yes,,, I agree that $500-$800 can be a big sum to most average folks. But when you figure out the COST to build any product,,,, to where the company can make money & stay in business,,,, it's a more than fair price for such a strong durable shooting/using gun.

Can Ruger do better? Absolutely. It'll cost more & less folks will be able to buy them. If you want perfect fit & looks,,, spend the $2500+ for a Freedom Arms.

Will Ruger repair things that are out of specs? Absolutely. A polite call can & will get a person some assistance when needed.

Just try & look at the bigger picture & understand the business. Plus,,,, think of where we'd be if Ruger went out of business or had to up the prices to where the average Joe couldn't afford them.

DPris

Buckeye
For years I blamed the gripmakers for Ruger's variable single-action grip fit.
Single-action grips have been all over the map, from decent to atrocious.

Then I was told it's not the gripmakers causing such poor fitting, it's Ruger.

The grips are standardized, but the grip frames are not.
I won't say where it came from, but Ruger's aware & was supposedly working on it.

My history with Ruger goes back nearly 40 years, and the company is well-represented in my vault between my wife & I, but much as I do like their products, it'd be silly to avoid saying that there's no excuse for such badly-fitting grip panels.

Ruger does need to get this grip situation resolved.
When it becomes necessary to toss those that came on the gun & spend additional money to have aftermarkets fabricated just to get a decent fit, that's an annoying QC problem that SHOULD be addressed.
Denis

A buddy of mine has begun cerakoting aluminum grip frames, the ceramic coat recipe he uses matches the blued finish of most Ruger revolvers. Better than factory. He can even reshape the frame and or the grips prior to a "coat job" ensuring proper fit and finish.

Old Dog Soldier

Bearcat
Thank you! One and all, for your thoughts and insights. I too have a long association with Ruger Products. I have always thought and long touted that their guns are some of the best that could be had for the money. But, the last gun I bought of theirs NIB is a Bisley Blackhawk .44mag. when they first came out. That's been quite a while ago. I've had no personal experience with any of their revolvers since then. When I first heard of W.B. Ruger's passing (in addition to feeling a certain sadness) I could not help but wonder about what would happen to his product line. Then some time back, I see that Ruger decided to go public with the Co. I don't know if that has anything to do with Q.C. issues or not. Hopefully, they will address these grip issues. I too, know that Ruger has ALWAYS stood behind their products. Their customer service has always been first rate. I've been buying their guns since the mid 60's and I think I am gonna stay with them. IMO, they still make the best revolver out there, for what they cost. Single Action or Double Action.

And, thank you contender, for welcoming me to the forum. I registered some time back, but have just started to post. Thanks again, one and all................

ODS

contender

Ruger Guru
I defer to DPris. He has more hands on knowledge than I do.
And by all means,,, welcome & do not hesitate to ask questions. Just a side note,,, The SR Co went public in the 1960's. But since Bill's passing & none of his remaining family involved,,, things have been a bit different. Heck,,, they dropped the "S" in the Sturm Ruger & Co. in their logos.

Still they do offer what I feel is the best product for the dollar spent.

Old Dog Soldier

Bearcat
Thank you. I was not aware that they went public that long ago. For some reason???? I thought that happen after W.B.R. was gone. But, even at my age, I am always willing to learn sumthn' Especially the stuff that don't hurt. I agree......... Sturm Ruger is the best stuff going for the money asked.

ODS

Old Dog Soldier said:
Sturm Ruger is the best stuff going for the money asked.

That is what you have to keep in mind. They function well shoot & well, if perfection in
fit and finish is what your after well you'll have to open your wallet a lot wider and buy
something different. IMO there the biggest bang for the buck. Customer Service if
needed is second to none.ps

41-44-45-48

Single-Sixer
My new 480 had terrible fitting grips. Also the grip frame screws were red locktited in place and I buggered one up getting it out. The one other complaint is that it hangs up cocking on one chamber because the hand gets a little ahead of the bolt dropping out of the way if you don't cock it fast/hard enough.

On the plus side the barrel is indexed properly, the throats are right on at .477, and it has the most perfect forcing one I've ever seen a revolver. My first range session revealed spectacular accuracy potential.

I guess I could complain about the minor things but I won't for a couple reasons:
1) the issues are easily fixable - I was going to make a set of grips anyways and the bolt/hand issue just needs the parts to wear in and it'll go away.
2) last I checked, nobody else offers a 480, let alone a SA 480, at $750. The next closest competition is Ruger's own Super Redhawk for $100 more. After that it's a custom chambered BFR at $1300, a FA at $2500, or $3000+ for a custom. In short, Ruger's the only reason I can afford to play with a caliber greater than 45. It's hard to get mad at Ruger when they're filling a niche nobody else will, especially at the prices they sell the Blackhawk series at.

In short, I'm thrilled that Ruger is offering these and more than happy to take care of the little issues myself!

G2

Hunter
41-44-45-48 said:
My new 480 had terrible fitting grips. Also the grip frame screws were red locktited in place and I buggered one up getting it out. The one other complaint is that it hangs up cocking on one chamber because the hand gets a little ahead of the bolt dropping out of the way if you don't cock it fast/hard enough.

On the plus side the barrel is indexed properly, the throats are right on at .477, and it has the most perfect forcing one I've ever seen a revolver. My first range session revealed spectacular accuracy potential.

I guess I could complain about the minor things but I won't for a couple reasons:
1) the issues are easily fixable - I was going to make a set of grips anyways and the bolt/hand issue just needs the parts to wear in and it'll go away.
2) last I checked, nobody else offers a 480, let alone a SA 480, at $750. The next closest competition is Ruger's own Super Redhawk for $100 more. After that it's a custom chambered BFR at $1300, a FA at $2500, or $3000+ for a custom. In short, Ruger's the only reason I can afford to play with a caliber greater than 45. It's hard to get mad at Ruger when they're filling a niche nobody else will, especially at the prices they sell the Blackhawk series at.

In short, I'm thrilled that Ruger is offering these and more than happy to take care of the little issues myself!

Very well said,

Mine hung up too, after 10x inspection of the ratchet, it had a big burr, once removed it helped but I went ahead and eased the inside front edge of the pawl, just a tad. :wink:

I'm thinking your sn# range must be 79xxx. Rumor of approximately when the red goo came about.

Same red goo and mine was clear full, I ended up snapping the hammer pin retaing screw off. :shock:
I'm not complaining. It's all back together now and I'm very pleased.

Here is a link & pictures.
http://singleactions.proboards.com/thread/16013/tore-new-ruger-454-480

41-44-45-48

Single-Sixer
Mine is 8002X. I saw your thread over at single actions. Mine wasn't nearly as bad with the goo but did require a little propane torch heating to unstuck the one screw. Currently waiting on a replacement from Midway as I buggered the head up badly getting it out.

Also, would you mind describing what surface of the pawl/hand you filed? Upon further inspection mine is right on the edge with 4 chambers and hangs up on the one sometimes. After comparison with my other blackhawks, the cylinder on the 480 starts moving very early in the hammer stroke. This leads me to believe the pawl is a tad tall, but I want to be sure of what I'm doing before removing metal.

G2

Hunter
I think the quality we all want is what we used to get in the days of old, but since the "BIG" Corporate changes the Stock does better and the Quality not so much.

I have owned a manufacturing business, Quality -vs- Production was allways a battle. Yes there was ALWAYS room for improvement, BUT it came at a cost.

I'm not complaining, IMO RUGER is turning out some good pre-assembled parts at a fair price. :wink:

The new grip panel provider Altamont is hit and miss, usually undersized, I would prefer oversized. I really like REAL WOOD better so I aquire old rosewood, fit & hand rub oil refinish.
image.jpg4_5.jpg

image.jpg5_3.jpg

I really like the way this set turned out.
image.jpg1_11.jpg

image.jpg2_9.jpg

41-44-45-48
To answer your question, I think the pawl is a tad long too, so I just ease the inside edge. This is sorta shorting the OAL, and if I decide to go ahead and free spin I'm part way there.
Here is a picture with the pawl extended.
image.jpg4_6.jpg

Here showing in the retracted position waiting for the cylinder match- up.
image.jpg3_7.jpg

Hope these are good enough to give you the idea.