FIRST TIME....!!!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

larry8

Blackhawk
OK, I was just saying that "when I shot it the kick nearly knocked me backwards out of the shooting stall", as to emphasize just how powerful the 44 felt to me. Obviously I didn't fall out of the stall, just saying that the kick was very strong that's all.

I've shot plenty .44 Mag and .44 Spcl out of my Super Blackhawks. But I've never felt anything as pleasurable to shoot as .44 Spcl out of my new 4 5/8" flattop with one of Ronnie's Gripframes.

txramfan

Single-Sixer
Second handgun I bought was a Super Blackhawk with a 7 1/2 " barrel. Recoil didn't bother me, getting my knuckle smacked did. Didn't matter how I adjusted my grip . I know I fired less than 100 rounds of factory ammo before I sold it to friend .

I'm fitting a bit of a unique gripframe to my NM Super currently…should help with the knuckle bit-
IMG_9332.jpeg

Paul B

Hunter
I probably had one of the first .44 mag. to hit San Francisco way back when the m29 was issued. I worked in a gun store part time and this older gentleman came in and trade a "registered" S&W in on the then very new M29 .44 mag. I snapped up the "registered" mag for the $75.00 allowed plus as a trade in plus $10 for profit..
The following Sunday I was with friends at the range when the old gentleman showed ready and raring to shoot his new .44. He'd noticed that I had his old gun and asked how I liked it. I said it was a sweetheart and I Iiked it a lot. I really did.
He proceeded to load the .44 and fired a shot. He then set the gun down and saaid something to the effect that the gun really kicked hard. Much more than he expected. He proceeded to fire five more rounds and frankly said to me, "I think this is too much gun for me.? I asked to try it which he allowed me to do and yes, it did kick quite hard but those were the days when I felt hard kicking guns were a challenge to be met and conquered I told him that I liked it and probably will buy one once I get the money up. He then asked me if I would trade his old .357 Mag. back to him for the .44 and I jumped on it. That .44 is long gone for one reason of another and to this day I regret letting that "registered"magnum go as they have a pretty high value these days.
Paul B.

WV460hunter

Single-Sixer
I have shot thousands of rounds of 44 mag. Started with a 22mag then .357 44 mag Was mild so I moved up to .454 after that I went to 460. I actually want a 500 but ain't had the extra cash lately.
I said that to say . I worked my way up through the years was an LEO for 10 yrs. Shot thousands of rounds of 357,40S&W , 45ACP
Taken lots of deer with 44(ruger),454(ruger)(& Taurus)&460(BFR)
I am gonna side with Contender on this one . With proper grip and technique they are very manageable. Barring any restraints like arthritic hands bad wrist etc..

Hankus

Blackhawk
I'm fitting a bit of a unique gripframe to my NM Super currently…should help with the knuckle bit-View attachment 47970
I personally prefer the Bisley grip frame with my heavy caliber revolvers. I've never really had any issues with .44 Magnum or heavy .45 Colt loads. My SRH in .454 Casull is a handful, but recoil is still manageable.

It's hard to believe, but over the many, many decades of buying/selling/shooting, I never fired a honest-to-God factory .44 Magnum round. I owned many S&W Mod.29's but just passed them thru for the money I could make on them. During my 'macho years', I found a hot loaded Ruger OM 45Colt could push a (250 gr.) jacketed bullet 1300fps, so I figured, who needs anything else. Truth be told, I never needed that either, but I still own it. Fast forward to last year (IIRC), I bought my OM FT (7 1/2" bbl) in 44 Mag. I hand load so we've been able to enjoy each other in "our" senior years. Then, last Sept. I got a birthday present of some factory (Fiocchi) 44 Mag. ammo, and this past Tuesday, fired off my first 5 rounds of the big (to me) boomers just so I could experience the recoil of the round formerly known as the most powerful (handgun) in the world (I paraphrased Clint). I was actually able to hit my 25 yd. 'slow fire' target shooting off hand and standing (to be sure I didn't hurt myself). Probably will never fire the rest of that box (although, one never knows, do one?). Overall, it was a good experience that was long overdue. I'm happy...!!

J.
Haven't shot one since I tried my friends after Dirty Harry. I stick to my 357 Magnums in my GP100s. I don't bear hunt... if I did I would used ar least a 44 though. I dont think anything I would need to shoot with a 357 is going to get away.

jmca

Bearcat
In post 25, Paul B mentions an S&W "Registered" 357 magnum. What does this mean? In post ??, there is mentioned 1950's factory loads at 1500fps. Do they still make that?

Shamus2022

Single-Sixer
In post 25, Paul B mentions an S&W "Registered" 357 magnum. What does this mean? In post ??, there is mentioned 1950's factory loads at 1500fps. Do they still make that?
You are referring to my Winchester Lubaloys and no they are no longer made.... only one year, I believe... and believe me you don't want to shoot them.

Registered Magnums were the first S&W .357's. They are quite something and came in presentation cases. Later much of the pomp and circumstance was dropped and they were given the model designation of 27.

The original loading of the .357 was quite hot. I don't know if they actually hit 1500 fps as a lot of hype happened before regular folks could get chronographs.

Still the loadings were reduced to allow lace pantyhose wearers to fire the round without physical damage.

True Registered Magnums go for boatloads these days.

Shamus2022

Single-Sixer
Registered Magnums were the first S&W .357's. They are quite something and came in presentation cases. Later much of the pomp and circumstance was dropped and they were given the model designation of 27.

The original loading of the .357 was quite hot. I don't know if they actually hit 1500 fps as a lot of hype happened before regular folks could get chronographs.

Still the loadings were reduced to allow lace pantyhose wearers to fire the round without physical damage.

True Registered Magnums go for boatloads these days.
Well, I don't wear any kind of pantyhose BUT, the second round from that box fired two handed buried the front sight in my head. Of course I was only 15 at the time but it sure scared the piss out of my father. So...physical damage smartass. And this was a .44 NOT a .357.

jmca

Bearcat
I shot an S&W 44 mag once back in the early 80's. I was impressed! Belonged to a buddy of mine. In the early 90's another guy bought a Dan Wesson 454 Casull, I don't remember if I shot that?

Johnnu2

Hunter
I bought a 454 Casull (Freedom Arms Mod. 83) fired one factory round.... sold it almost immediately.

J.

Latest posts