First time out with the LCP

Help Support Ruger Forum:

josh2415

Bearcat
Took the LCP out to the firing range today for the first time, just to see how she'd put out - sweet little pistol! Went thru about 40 rds of 95 gr Winchester USA FMJ, and 10 rds of "low recoil" 90 gr Federal Hydra-Shok JHP. No feed problems whatsoever. With the first mag I sent 5 shots thru the bullseye at 7 yd, so she's pretty darned accurate for a little gun. The rest of the shots weren't quite as accurate, but that was my fault, not the gun's.

Interesting note on the "low recoil" Hydra-Shoks - I was surprised to find out that the recoil was NOTICEABLY less with these than than with the FMJ's. Makes me wonder that if there is less recoil, are the bullets actually slower? And if they're slower wouldn't this mean less penetration, which would be a problem in a self-defense situation? I haven't read of any penetration problems with the .380 Hydra-Shoks, but I would be interested in any of your thoughts concerning this.

Overall, I'm very impressed with the LCP. The only downside was that fact that she was a little hard to hold on to, but the mag finger extension would easily fix that problem. Nice job Ruger!

halfmoonclip

Bearcat
There are some who argue that the .380 can't drive a bullet fast enough to penetrate and expand. I'm not totally sure I buy that, but I use flat point FMJs all the same.
Federal makes good stuff, and they have a record of 'tactical' ammo that kicks less, notably some 00 shotgun loads.
Have you been able to find data on your loads, or chrono them yourself?
Moon

josh2415

Bearcat
halfmoonclip":2sy2njuz said:
Federal makes good stuff, and they have a record of 'tactical' ammo that kicks less, notably some 00 shotgun loads.
Have you been able to find data on your loads, or chrono them yourself?
Moon
I did set up a little informal test to compare the .380 Fed Hydra-Shoks to Corbon's DPX. Set up 2 rows of 4 water-filled gal milk jugs (I only had 8 jugs) and fired one of each round thru the row from 7 yds. The DPX went thru the 1st jug, into the 2nd, made a major dent and a small puncture in the back wall of the 2nd, and a major dent in the front wall of the 3rd - found the round fully expanded in the 2nd jug. The HS went thru all 4 jugs and I was unable to find the round to see how much it had expanded.

I concluded from this, right or wrong, that the DPX MIGHT be a safer bet if over-penetration was a concern (apartment setting, etc). I've read mixed reviews concerning the DPX though - some say that it has plenty of power, ample penetration, and reliable expansion; some say that it is underpowered and lacks the ability to penetrate. Dunno.

Haven't read many negative reviews of the HS. I'm guessing that since these are .380s over-penetration isn't going to be an issue, and therefore might be the better defense round. I'd like to test them again, with more water jugs next time.

cas6969

Buckeye
The 380's job is to distract your attacker long enough to run away. Not to win gunfights. :twisted:

McIver

Bearcat
cas":faziieqg said:
The 380's job is to distract your attacker long enough to run away. Not to win gunfights. :twisted:
I tend to agree, however I remember reading some where about the 32acp being more effective than any other round in history.

McIver

halfmoonclip

Bearcat
Josh, that's interesting. Previous experience with CorBons has been 'nads to the wall high velocity (crowding 1400 fps w/115s in a Glock), tho' they ususally use 'flying ashtray' style HPs.
Difficulty in getting/affording enough high performance ammo to test it, plus the previously noted concern about underpenetration, has led to the FP FMJs.

And I'd agree, the .380 ain't a death ray, but, realistically, what handgun round is? Yeah, yeah, given a choice, I'd rather have a .45, but toting a .45 is like a full time job. I'll say this for the LCP; it's a lot more gun/round than you could carry in your pocket ten years ago.
Moon

josh2415

Bearcat
halfmoonclip":19jg1wmz said:
Previous experience with CorBons has been 'nads to the wall high velocity (crowding 1400 fps w/115s in a Glock), tho' they ususally use 'flying ashtray' style HPs.
Agreed. I use 115gr DPX in my 9mm XDm and have NO doubt in its ability to perform. Given that the .380 is basically a shortened (ie, reduced power) 9mm, lack of penetration starts to become more of a concern. Personally, I like the .380 DPX because of its ability to expand broadly and reliably. I've used the 12ga Federal Barnes Expander slugs deer hunting for years, and really like the solid copper Barnes X bullet that both it and the DPX uses.

halfmoonclip

Bearcat
McIver":1onjsz7x said:
cas":1onjsz7x said:
I tend to agree, however I remember reading some where about the 32acp being more effective than any other round in history.

McIver

I think that was from the Detroit cop who kept all the 'one shot stop' records; he claimed the .32 Silvertips had a stopping percentage all out of proportion to their modest size and power. Don't know if that has been supported or debunked since then.
Only reservation with the Silvertips in a .32 is that they are short enough to induce 'rim lock', plus the same question as with the .380; are they powerful enough to both penetrate AND expand.
Moon